christopher-white
2nd November 2015

Album: Rudimental – We The Generation

Rudimental’s new LP will likely smash the charts and fuel many a pissed-up raver, but does little to excite the sober ear

Released October the 2nd via Asylum

5/10

We The Generation is Rudimental’s second studio album, and has been quite rightly met with some anticipation. Their debut album Home made Rudimental stand out in the world of drum and bass, a genre elicit with recycled tunes that all sound a bit ‘same-y’. However, Rudimental showed courage to be different and had the ability to do so successfully. Teaming up with big names such as Emeli Sandé, Home was an international success and lead to their second UK number one. Now, they move from an award-winning and hit-making album, to an unexperimental sound—which is at best an easy listen.

We The Generation fails to impress. Again they recruit big names, such as Dizzee Rascal, but this time nothing managed to stand out quite like ‘Feel The Love’ did. ‘Lay It On Me’ is likely to achieve chart success given Ed Sheeran’s feature; his horde aren’t exactly used to drum and bass, but are likely to follow the ginger pop god wherever he goes. Indeed, the songs appear to follow the same formulaic style as the previous album and this is a formula which sells. But are they memorable? We’re unlikely to look back at them in the near future.

Although I’ve been very negative, it wasn’t all bad. I found my feet tapping to at least one of the tracks. The title track is a jazzy number featuring up-and-coming artist, Mahalia. This track felt like a welcome relief in a sea of repetitive tunes and it’s at least positive that Rudimental’s popularity will give the unknown artists featured a platform on which to look into the limelight.

If you are looking for background music whilst entertaining friends, this might be a safe bet, but expect nothing more. I’m sure I would have enjoyed it more, were I heavily intoxicated and on a cheap student night out.