• Hull Union apologises for ‘sex act game’ during sports club night

tori-blakeman

Hull Union apologises for ‘sex act game’ during sports club night

Outrage as union club night, hosted by DJ Lee Watson, “exploited and degraded” women during a game to win a free ticket to sports tour

Last month shocking pictures of students engaging in a ‘sex act game’ during popular Hull University Union sports club night, ‘The Tower’, emerged via The Tab.

Held at Hull Union’s ‘Asylum’ night club, the weekly sports night saw guest DJ Lee Watson, known for his appearance on ITV’s Club Reps, host a competition encouraging students to simulate sex acts on stage. The winner of the competition would receive a free ticket to sports tour in Croatia, worth nearly £300.

Students were first encouraged to take part in a cracker-eating contest, however witnesses in the crowd say it eventually escalated to participants taking their clothes off on stage.

Student Kimberly Houghton, described how the DJ “shouted out a sex position and when the music stopped the students had to get in positions and people were kicked out round by round.”

With many students reported to have left the venue early, she also recalled Watson asking one male student to shout “who’s your daddy” down the microphone whilst holding a girl upside down in a sexual position, in order to stay in the game.

Watson—described by one student as “misogynistic”—was also reported to have encouraged the audience in cheering “slag” at one female, and to have asked another to remain with a same sex partner for a bit of “girl on girl action.” He is also reported to have told the crowd: “Cheer if you want to fuck this girl! She’s keen, form a queue. I’m first.”

The Hull Union club night has been slated for “exploiting” and “degrading” young women by anti-sexual violence group Rape Crisis, and has been equally shunned by Chris McGovern, chairman of Campaign for Real Education.

McGovern expressed how this one incident is part of an epidemic of mental health issues spanning the country’s campuses. He said: “Peer pressure on students to conform is strong and many young people are likely to feel upset, or, even, traumatised by an association, however, loose, with the ‘sex on stage’ event.

“We have an epidemic of mental health issues on our campuses and such behaviour is likely to add to them.”

Hull University Union has since acknowledged some games ‘were not appropriate’. A spokesperson said: “We are disappointed this event caused any offence or upset to our members and offer our sincere apologies to anyone that was offended by them.

“It is important to us that our members have a great time in our venues and we are committed to Hull University Union continuing to be an inclusive, welcoming, and accepting space.”

Hull Union also reassured members that “the act that appeared at this Tower will not be re-booked for future performances.”

UoM PHD student faces backlash over research paper on masturbating to comics of young boys

A PHD student at the University of Manchester has recently come under fire and faced a severe online backlash after a research paper he wrote about masturbating to erotic comics of young boys went viral.