elise-gallagher

MAP turns ten

The University of Manchester’s Manchester Access Programme turns ten

2015 marks a decade since the Manchester Access Programme started at the University of Manchester. The Manchester Access Programme, otherwise known as MAP, was created in response to the university’s goal to recruit students who will be successful at Manchester regardless of the educational or social background they possess.

MAP is a specially structured scheme targeting local post-16 students who meet specific academic and background criteria. As well as the development of key academic skills the aim of MAP is to support the participant’s entry to Manchester, or to another research-intensive university.

During the scheme students will be given the opportunity to establish their potential through a variety of activities such as a series of personal development/skills workshops, one-to-one UCAS application guidance, and a two-day University Life conference. However, successful completion of the scheme is reliant on the completion of an academic assignment conducted under the guidance of an academic tutor at the University.

All students who successfully complete MAP will then benefit from 40 UCAS points towards their University of Manchester offer and an annual scholarship of £1,000 upon registration on a course at Manchester.

MAP targets students using criteria related to academic potential and measures of underrepresentation in Higher Education. Greater Manchester pupils wishing to qualify for MAP must meet all essential criteria. You must be in Year 12, currently studying a two-year Level 3 qualification—A-levels, BTEC qualifications, etc.—and either be living or studying in Greater Manchester. Potential participants must have attended a state secondary school. You must also have at least eight A* to C grades at GCSE including English Language and Maths. Neither of your parents have attended university and achieved an undergraduate degree or equivalent.

Priority criteria is allocated to those who live in a ‘disadvantaged’ or ‘low participation’ neighbourhood, were entitled to free school meals (FSM) at secondary school or who also may receive a 16 – 19 bursary from their current institution. Students may also have experience of Local Authority Care or attended either a secondary school where the average Key Stage 4 performance is lower than the national average, or currently attend an institution where Key Stage 5 performance is lower than the national average. You do not need to meet all criteria in order to successfully gain a place on MAP, applications are judged on a case by case basis in order for the university to support their belief of “supporting talented students.”

Application processes differ in respect to what course the student is hoping to study. Students hoping to study medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy have a more competitive process. As the three courses are highly popular there are a restricted number of places.

If you are interested in pursuing one of these subjects at university, you must have achieved the minimum entry requirements at GCSE (or equivalent), in order for your application to be considered further for that particular subject strand.

It is important to note that if you apply for the Pharmacy subject strand of MAP, and then decide partway through the programme that you want to apply for Medicine or Dentistry at Manchester instead, you will not qualify for the 40 MAP UCAS points towards entry. Alternatively, if you successfully gain a place on the Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy strand of MAP, and then decide you want to apply for a different course altogether, you will still be eligible for 40 UCAS points towards entry onto any other course at Manchester. Applicants for courses other than Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy will be eligible for the deduction of 40 UCAS points towards entry for their favoured subject.

MAP is a key initiative which sole aim is to promote progression to the University of Manchester or any other competitive institution for those who may more obstacles than some on their pursuit for higher education. The vast majority of successful MAP students go on to become student ambassadors which help with the overall MAP experience as well as take potential students on tours around the campus whilst at the same time gaining invaluable material for their CVs.

Applications are open for 2016. Regarding any queries contact: [email protected].