elinor-james
2nd June 2016

Festival Preview: Rock Werchter

This year the Belgian bonanza boasts (among other treats) the one and only Paul McCartney

30th June – 4th July 2016

Louvain, Belgium

Imagine a field the size of Manchester, but imagine it’s in Belgium. Next, imagine three big stages in the field; put one down near good old Withington, perhaps by Sainsbury’s Local. Put one near the Etihad Stadium. Put the last one somewhere over there *gestures West* between the Trafford Centre and the Chill Factore. Next, add in, just dotted around, totally randomly man, plenty of local Belgian beer and fries stalls, 80,000 people in shorts and sunglasses and tidal wave upon tidal wave of loud authentic rock. Congratulations, you have just imagined a massive festival in Belgium called Rock Werchter!

Situated in a village approximately 20km out of Brussels near the town of Leuven/Louvain (Flemish/French), the festival is known for its enormous crowds, and a no-frills attitude to entertainment, rather a focus on supreme quality—some might say tasty—rock ‘n’ roll. 2016 promises legends such as Paul McCartney and Iggy Pop, 90s/00s giants The Offspring, Rammstein and The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and copious swathes of talent currently making their name like Tame Impala and Lianne La Havas.

Thursday to Sunday costs around £200, and very satisfyingly includes shuttles to and from Brussels airport. Camping costs less than £20 plus however much you fancy spending on exciting additions to your one-man coffin tent/4 man palace/trendy yurt. Rock Werchter spans the first weekend of July each year —this year that’s 30th June until the 4th July 2016.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark