sarah-kilcourse

Vogue 100: A century of style review

Fashion and Beauty Editor Sarah Kilcourse takes a trip to Mosely Street, to explore the Manchester Art Gallery exhibition Vogue 100: A Century of Style

2016 marks the 100th Anniversary of British Vogue. An American imported magazine; publisher Condé Nast created the paper to ensure that British readers could enjoy the fashion, society and beauty advice that previously could only be found in the American version. Once British Vogue had control over its content, it transformed the paper into the fashion juggernaut it is today. The institute stands as a pillar of 20th Century British fashion; a survivor of two world wars, numerous economic crashes and every fashion fad in between.

To celebrate, the paper curated the Vogue 100 exhibition, whilst initially shown at The National Portrait Gallery, the exhibition has since been transferred to Manchester Art Gallery from June 24th – October 30th and entry is free. Alongside the exhibition, there was a special centenary edition in June with the Duchess of Cambridge on the cover, and a BBC documentary titled Absolutely Fashion—admittedly, the documentary doesn’t represent Vogue at its finest.

On the top floor of Manchester Art Gallery you can explore the history of Vogue, travelling through the decades: one is free to explore Cecil Beaton’s defining images of the 1920s and 1930s; David Bailey’s representation of the swinging sixties; Patrick Demarchelier’s intimate depiction of Cindy, Naomi and Claudia—the original supermodels; plus portraits of some of the greatest designers of the 20th Century. The exhibition guides you through the journey the magazine has taken, alongside popular cultures.

The images included in A Century of Style highlight the legacy Vogue wishes to leave. It wants to be seen as forward thinking, an institute that helped to define the time it existed in, rather than be defined by time. The exhibition does not address Vogues controversial under-representation of black models or its frequent inclusion of underweight models.

Frequent attention is given to Britain’s most famous face in fashion—Kate Moss. The London girl who, discovered aged 14, has defined British Vogue under current editor Alexandra Shulman is given the prominence she deserves. It cannot be denied that she has an exquisite face from every angle.

If you fancy a break from the autumn rain, busy streets, or piles of work being handed out, I cannot recommend Vogue 100: A Century of Style enough. If nothing else there are some truly beautiful photographs to be admired.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse

Conversations about acne #3: Not just a girl’s issue

Acne isn’t just a teen or female issue as one writer explains in their latest addition to the ‘Conversations about acne’ series

Celebrity Style Guide #5: Beabadoobee

We explore the unique style of young artist Bea Laus AKA Beabadoobee