james-johnson1

Take a break the right way

Few of us are strangers to a daytime siesta. James Johnson takes a look at the new way of taking a break; ‘coffee-napping’

We’ve all been there — trying to claw your way through another days study, craving the seasons ‘must have’ coffee, and equally, wanting to head home and take a nap. So, why not combine the two?

One thing you’re likely to become accustomed to at University is the ability to take a nap, whatever time of day and for whatever period of time. Often you’ll wake up and you’ve missed three birthdays, the leaves have changed colour and you don’t know what time of day it is.

Taking a nap in amongst your busy schedule is a surefire way to keep your energy up and ensure you get the most out of your day; especially when you’re juggling your studies, a job, and whatever other commitments you may have.

What you may not know is that introducing coffee into your daily nap may help to leave you feeling more refreshed when you wake up and try to tackle the rest of your day. A nap powered by science; what could be more justifiable?

Many of us might claim that the first sip of coffee on a bleak Monday morning instantly makes us feel more awake, but caffeine takes at least twenty minutes to have any considerable effect on the body. Therefore, taking your coffee before a fifteen to twenty-minute nap might just jolt you into getting that assignment written a bit more effectively.

Photo: James Johnson

The seemingly contradictory phenomenon was initially studied by scientists at Loughborough University, finding that participants who had partaken in a caffeine-fuelled nap proved more effective whilst in a driving simulation test.

Proven to be more effective than simply drinking a cup of coffee or taking a nap alone, coffee napping, although it may sound like a major contradiction,  might just be the recharge you need during those deadline-filled weeks or exam periods!

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence