sam-cooper

7,500 runners take part in Manchester half marathon

The course, which starts outside Old Trafford football ground and ends at Old Trafford cricket ground, has a reputation of being one of the fastest half marathons in the UK due to its flat nature

In the second iteration of the event, many elite runners competed in the hopes of breaking the previous record of 1:04:41 due to the course’s flat and fast nature. Pre-race, Glasweigan Luke Traynor was touted by many as a potential winner and the first time half marathon runner did not disappoint, completing the 13.1 mile route in 1:04:10.

The fastest female was Rebecca Hilland of Team Bath who recorded a time of 1:15:40 and four athletes completed the wheelchair race with Adam Goldspink-Burgess recording the quickest time at 1:18:32.

Race day saw perfect weather conditions for the runners with no sign of rain but significant cloud coverage to block the sun from overheating the runners. There was also little to no wind meaning the runners could enjoy a stress free run.

The event was in support of Manchester Evening News’ #WeStandTogether campaign which sims to create a more peaceful Greater Manchester in the wake of the Arena bomb attack. Many athletes ran with yellow wristbands decorated with the hashtag #WeStandTogether.

Out of 7,656 runners, 7,568 finished the race and they were cheered on by the residents of the Trafford area. Children lined the outside of the route asking for high fives from the runners or to hand out sweets to in-need competitors whose legs had begun to give way.

The finishers will now be setting their eyes on the full marathon in April.

F1 Academy partners with Charlotte Tilbury for 2024 season

A huge announcement for the world of motorsport as F1 Academy is partnering with none other than Charlotte Tilbury

Did the 2023 F1 season push drivers too far?

Drivers are used to pushing themselves physically and mentally as high-performing athletes in the world of motorsport, but the 2023 season sparked discussions about driver welfare following an intense calendar and extremely demanding race weekends

F1 vs feminism: The impact of Susie Wolff allegations against female involvement in the sport

The 2023 allegations and subsequent investigations against Susie Wolff could have an impact on the role of women in motorsports

UoMRFC suffer vengeance on derby day: UoMRFC 8-50 MMU

After last year’s loss, MMU were out for vengeance