• Sport
  • 7,500 runners take part in Manchester half marathon

sam-cooper

7,500 runners take part in Manchester half marathon

The course, which starts outside Old Trafford football ground and ends at Old Trafford cricket ground, has a reputation of being one of the fastest half marathons in the UK due to its flat nature

In the second iteration of the event, many elite runners competed in the hopes of breaking the previous record of 1:04:41 due to the course’s flat and fast nature. Pre-race, Glasweigan Luke Traynor was touted by many as a potential winner and the first time half marathon runner did not disappoint, completing the 13.1 mile route in 1:04:10.

The fastest female was Rebecca Hilland of Team Bath who recorded a time of 1:15:40 and four athletes completed the wheelchair race with Adam Goldspink-Burgess recording the quickest time at 1:18:32.

Race day saw perfect weather conditions for the runners with no sign of rain but significant cloud coverage to block the sun from overheating the runners. There was also little to no wind meaning the runners could enjoy a stress free run.

The event was in support of Manchester Evening News’ #WeStandTogether campaign which sims to create a more peaceful Greater Manchester in the wake of the Arena bomb attack. Many athletes ran with yellow wristbands decorated with the hashtag #WeStandTogether.

Out of 7,656 runners, 7,568 finished the race and they were cheered on by the residents of the Trafford area. Children lined the outside of the route asking for high fives from the runners or to hand out sweets to in-need competitors whose legs had begun to give way.

The finishers will now be setting their eyes on the full marathon in April.

Doing what the men couldn’t: The importance of the Lionesses’ Euro win

The Lionesses brought football home in 2022, something the men haven’t done since 1966. The whole nation supported our women this summer, and this momentum must be continued for the good of the game.
“If there’s no legacy to this … what are we doing?”: A love letter to Women’s Football

I’ve always loved football but it hasn’t always been easy … will the 2022 Euros change that for girls nationwide?
5”1 in a giants world: In conversation with Amrisha Kudhail

An interview with Amrisha Kudhail, discussing the excitement building around basketball, her transition from a dance background and advice for those wanting to become involved within the sports industry
Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester