22nd November 2017

The Manchester Marrow Charity Ball

Manchester Marrow is a UoM based branch of stem cell donation charity Anthony Nolan. Volunteer Joseph Brammer talks us through the Manchester Marrow Ball this Christmas to raise money for the worthy cause

Every day, Anthony Nolan matches incredible individuals willing to donate their stem cells to patients with blood cancers and blood disorders who desperately need lifesaving transplants. Manchester Marrow is an off Branch of Anthony Nolan based on campus. It seeks to raise funds and awareness of the charity. As such, myself (Joseph Brammer) and Indy Burgess, members of Marrow, are organising a charity ball for students in support of Anthony Nolan.

This cause is close to my own heart. After donating myself this March, I have come to realise how easy stem cell donation is and how many lives it can save. The process is painless, it’s really no different to giving blood, except a little longer. Additionally, being on the register is a really rewarding experience, as you have the opportunity to literally save someone’s life.

For those students living in the Fallowfield area, there are currently 1136 registered stem cell donors in Gorton, Manchester, which is fantastic — these potential lifesavers give patients a second chance when all other treatment options have failed. However, with one in eight people across the UK failing to find a match, there’s clearly more that needs to be done to get donors to come forward.

This is where the Manchester Marrow ball comes in. It gives the opportunity for students to sign up to the register, raise money for Anthony Nolan, all whilst having a great time in the process. The ball is open to anyone, and if there are any societies out there looking for a Christmas event, they are welcome to come along.

Tickets are priced at £25, however this can be reduced if you use the Circle app. With your ticket you will receive a two course meal, a bottle of wine per table, the prosecco tower (a free glass of prosecco for each person), discounted drinks and DJ entertainment all evening long. The ball will be celebrating the Christmas season in style with a Great Gatsby theme!

There will be tables of seven to ten. You will need to message Joseph Brammer or Indy Burgess on Facebook the names of your group for a table. Additionally, please let us know if you have any dietary requirements.

We also hope to have some exciting guest speakers that will be confirmed soon.

If you’re hoping to save £5 on your ticket, the Circle app may be for you. If you’ve not used the app before, downloading it through our event link, and then using it to buy your ticket will provide you with £5 free — making your ticket only £20. More importantly, for every person who does this, the Anthony Nolan charity will receive £5!

Circle aims to enable students to transfer cash from their mobile, instantly and securely. Friend owes you money from that last grocery shop? Always buying the rounds and never being paid back? Hassle over paying back your housemate for bills? Worry no more – Circle removes the stress from any money situation with friends.

If you would like to attend the ball, or for more details of the occasion and Anthony Nolan, simply search UoM: Charity Christmas Ball on Facebook.

“I want the truth, whatever it is”: The representation of student journalism in Riverdale

Riverdale, Netflix’s long-running TV show, offers a uniquely compelling depiction of student journalism