sam-cooper

Premier League Round-Up: November 24-26th

A recap of all the weekend’s action from the Premier League.

Tottenham Hotspur lost more ground in the title race as they slipped to a disappointing 1-1 home draw against West Brom. The Baggies, under the temporary charge of Gary Megson, scored early as Salomón Rondón was played in by Jake Livermore. The West Prom striker pushed Davinson Sánchez aside as he slid the ball into the far corner.

Spurs laboured in their search for an equaliser eventually finding their goal in the 74th minute through Harry Kane. The striker after the game said his side were “not good enough” and noted the now 13 point gap between them and Manchester City.

City themselves took the short trip to Huddersfield Town where they battled for a 2-1 win.  Sergio Agüero and Raheem Sterling got the goals after City fell behind due to a Nicolás Otamendi own goal.

Two other teams hoping to be in the title race come the end of the season contested Saturday’s late kick off as Chelsea travelled to Anfield. After an even first half, in-form Mohamed Salah scored his tenth league goal of the season before substitute Willian equalised in the 85th minute. The Brazilian’s attempt may well have been a cross as it looped over Simon Mignolet into the net. The shared points mean Liverpool slipped to sixth while Chelsea lost ground of both of the Manchester clubs.

Manchester United secured their ninth league win of the season in an unconvincing fashion at home to Brighton. The home side were forced to rely on a Lewis Dunk own goal to give them all three points in a game that José Mourinho described as “probably the hardest match we’ve had this season”. The win moved United temporarily five points behind City.

Arsenal left it late again as they relied on a penalty to win away at Burnley. Aaron Ramsey was deemed to have been fouled in the box before Alexis Sánchez converted the spot kick in a scenario that matched last season’s fixture. The win moved Arsenal into fourth ahead of Spurs.

Watford continued their fine start to the season with a 3-0 away win at Newcastle. In a week which saw their manager Marco Silva targeted by Everton for their new boss, Watford fans can be particularly pleased to still see him on the touchline of this commanding win. Summer signing Will Hughes opened the scoring before a DeAndre Yedlin own goal doubled their advantage just before half time. Andre Gray added a third just after the hour mark to confirm the three points and condem Newcastle to their fourth straight defeat.

Crystal Palace increased their chances of Premier League survival as they scored late to defeat Stoke City 2-1. The visitors scored first through Xherdan Shaqiri before man of the moment Ruben Loftus-Cheek equalised three minutes later. An injury time winner from Mamadou Sakho mood Palace within three points of safety.

Another team flirting with relegation in West Ham secured their first point of the David Moyes era on Friday night. Coming from behind due to a Marc Albrighton goal for Leicester in the eight minute, Cheikhou Kouyaté level just before half time.

Southampton inflicted more misery on Everton as they embarrassed them 4-1 at St. Marys. Goals from Dušan Tadić and Steven Davis combined with a brace from the returning Charlie Austin confirmed Southampton’s class apart performance. Everton did find the net through Gylfi Sigurðsson, his first Premier League goal for the club, but it was otherwise another embarrassing display.

Swansea – Bournemouth ended goalless.

A game away: Spectating South Korea’s football culture

I attended the Yonsei v KU derby in Seoul, along with 50,000 other fans. It couldn’t have been more different from BUCS.

“You might have heard there’s a football match on” – The build-up to the 2022 World Cup’s biggest showdown yet

Southgate’s England take on reigning champions France this Saturday in a once-in-a-lifetime World Cup clash

The controversy continues: The OneLove armband U-turn

A look into the debate surrounding the Onelove armband controversy, highlighting the issues surrounding Qatar and its approach to LGBTQ+ rights.

No more heading the ball: The health hazards of the beautiful game

Scotland is leading the way in responding to football related head injuries