jodie-bryant

Album review: Rae Morris – Someone Out There

Experimental, adventurous and refined – Rae Morris is an artist you should be excited about in 2018
Photo: Album Artwork

It’s been three years since Rae Morris’ debut album, Unguarded. The highly anticipated Someone Out There dropped Friday 2nd February.

Rae Morris is one of those names you will have definitely heard but this album brings her to the forefront. If we look at the record as a whole, you can tell it’s a record that’s been worked on hard and not one song is a throwaway.

Rae describes the album as a ‘step away from the piano’ – a key element of her earlier work. This new style comes across through the variety of songs on the album and we’re left with the electropop magic that is Someone Out There.

The album kicks off with ‘Push Me to My Limit,’ a song which came late in the process of recording the album. String players and all, the song sets the tone of the beautiful album and is atmospheric in setting the scene. Leaving us with a sense of anticipation, the album moves into the energetic, ‘Reborn.’

What stood out particularly throughout Someone Out There was the majesty of a lot of the tracks. Following in the footsteps of the first track are ‘Wait for the Rain’ and ‘Do It’. These perfectly frame the album and, on the whole, the execution of the entire record is very impressive.

The track closest to Rae’s heart is ‘Rose Garden,’ which has a  prominent and meaningful message. The song’s frustration is conveyed in its message of being incapable of helping someone in need, making it a powerful addition to the track list. When aligned with adventurous upbeat songs like ‘Dip My Toe,’ the variety of the tracks and tempo bring the album together.

‘Someone Out There’, the title track, is a stand alone tune. The piano accompanies Rae’s lovely voice to start the track, acting as a bridge between her old and new work. The sense of “out there” is to address the fans. Rae wanted to widen the perceptive of listeners and create outward facing music. This song sets the tone for the relativity of all the tracks on the album.

The record ends with the larger than life, ‘Dancing with Character,’ the song that culminates the album. You can imagine this sounding and looking great live. Rae has said she is looking forward to performing this and incorporating dance moves, already envisioning the album coming to life.

Rae’s tour is hitting Manchester soon! Grab tickets here

If you want to have a listen (you do), click here

7/10