daisy-tolcher
2nd March 2018

Spring Fiesta: an all-day food festival with a difference

A Manchester food festival aiming to reduce food waste
Photo: Spring Fiesta

On the 10th March, environmental charity Feedback, pay-as-you-feel cafe Real Junk Food Manchester, and a host of other local organisations are coming together to present a feast to fight food waste.

The aim of the event is to demonstrate how we can re-imagine and reuse food waste in a number of delicious and interesting ways. Throughout the day, mancunians are invited to nourish themselves and the planet by joining a celebration of diverse local food and community organisations to make a free lunch from surplus fresh ingredients. Other activities include a family friendly “alternative market” in Sadler’s Yard, kids activities such as “make a Mother’s Day gift”, a host of workshops for all ages and film screenings.

The fun won’t stop there with the festival going on into the evening. From 6pm the party with a purpose heats up and attendees will come together to co-create a free feast from fresh, top quality produce that would otherwise go to waste. The feast will be accompanied with disco, funk and soul beats from local DJ’s and there will be a bar stocked with waste-busting craft beers from Runaway Brewery and Toast Ale.

The purpose of this free event is to demonstrate to that we need to rethink our current food system. According to the event organisers, “globally, around one-third of all food produced is never eaten. Meanwhile one third of the UK’s poorest families are skipping meals because they cannot afford to put food on the table”.

The Spring Fiesta will therefore be a unique and important event, celebrating the many alternative solutions to food waste to help educate us on ways to nourish our planet rather than deplete it.

The Spring Fiesta is a FREE event and will be taking place at PLANET NOMA and Sadler’s Yard on 10th March between 11am-1pm.

To register for a ticket follow this link Register online at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/feedback-presents-spring-fiesta-tickets-43169791007