alinamclellan

Recipe: Vegan Mushroom Wellington

A vegan alternative to a classic wellington
Recipe: Vegan Mushroom Wellington
Photo: Alina Mclellan

Ingredients:

• Four large Portobello mushrooms
  • Three large onions (peeled and chopped)
  • Three tbsp. olive oil
  • 300g baby spinach
  • Four sprigs of thyme
  • One tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • One pack Just Roll puff pastry (suitable for vegans!)
  • Vegan egg wash:
  • One tbsp. almond milk
  • One tsp oil
  • ½ tsp maple syrup

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
  2. Heat up half of the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onions. Fry them on a low heat for 15-20 minutes, until they are golden brown.
  3. In the meantime, wilt the spinach in another pan and set aside once it is done. This should only take 10 minutes or so.
  4. Once the onions are done, set them aside. Return the pan to the heat and put your mushrooms in with the remaining oil. Cook them for five minutes on each side. Once they are done, remove them from the pan and pat them dry.
  5. Put a sheet of baking paper on the baking tray and then roll out the puff pastry sheet on it. Put half the onions in a line down one side of the pastry, making sure you still leave an extra 2 cm around the edge. Then add half of the baby spinach on top of the onions. Spread the mustard over the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper before placing them on top of the spinach. Finally, put the thyme and the remaining spinach and onions on top.
  6. Carefully fold over the pastry to cover the filling and seal the edges of the pastry by pressing them together.
  7. Whisk the ingredients of the vegan egg wash or the egg together then lightly coat the top of the pastry with it.
  8. Put the pastry in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden, flaky and delicious. Cut open and enjoy!

The Manchester Coffee Festival run-down

Manchester is a city of many things, including great coffee. We scouted out the industry’s best beans and brewers at the Manchester Coffee Festival

The Negroni Sbagliato: Is it really that stunning?

Does the ‘House of the Dragon’ star Emma D’Arcy’s favourite drink stand up to the hype? We give it a sip with a student stir

Behold the Bottomless Feast at Red’s True BBQ

Get legless and stuffed, at Red’s True Barbecue’s festive Bottomless Feast with both Meat-Lover and Meat-Free platters on offer!

Soy to the World! The Vegan Christmas Markets are here

A review of the Northern Vegan Christmas Markets that brought environmentally and animal-friendly festive cheer to all visitors