kirstie-omahony
16th July 2018

Campaign to recognise misogyny as hate crime to launch this week

Greater Manchester Citizens are banding together to fight harassment against women
Photo: Greater Manchester Citizens

All over Manchester this year, there have been events making 100 years since Women’s Suffrage.

And they show no signs of slowing down — On Wednesday 18th July, a campaign is launching that will lobby Greater Manchester Police to recognise acts of misogyny as Hate Crimes.

The campaign is inspired by a similar one launched by Nottingham Citizens, and will see the Greater Manchester Citizens band together to “set the next benchmark of women’s rights”.

The day will involve performances by students at Levenshulme High School for Girls, talks from leading members of the campaign, and addresses from prominent members of the Greater Manchester community.

They have also written a letter to Ian Hopkins, the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, stating that “Data shows that an overwhelming huge majority of young women (85 per cent) and nearly half (45 per cent) of all women have been sexually harassed in public places.  Yet, only one in ten received help after these incidents.

It ends by saying: “We urge you to agree that all police forces in England and Wales should record misogyny as a hate crime, so that we can begin to address the underlying cause of violence against women and girls, which is endemic in our society.”

Greater Manchester Mayoral Hustings held at the Students’ Union

Ahead of the Mayoral election on May 2, the Students’ Union held Mayoral hustings where candidates made their case to students