gurnaik-johal
21st September 2018

Preview: Manchester Literature Festival

Gurnaik Johal picks out highlights from the upcoming Manchester Literature Festival and looks ahead to an exciting season of literary events
Preview: Manchester Literature Festival

From 30th September to 5th December, Manchester will play host to some of the world’s best writers. The lineup for this year’s Manchester Literature Festival may be the most diverse yet, with poets, novelists, memoirists and non-fiction writers from across the globe taking part in events throughout the city.

From Man Booker-nominated novelists like Esi Edugyan and Guy Gunaratne to household names like Graham Norton and Jo Brand, there’s certainly something for everyone at this year’s festival. Celebrated poets Nick Laird and Terrance Hayes appear alongside acclaimed non-fiction writers like Afua Hirsch, author of BRIT(ish). There’s a great mix of best-selling writers and rising stars; nowhere else will you get the chance to meet the makers of Slay in Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible one day and Olivia Laing, author of Crudo, the next. While most writers at the festival have just brought out new books, some events reappraise older work, what with a Celebration of Muriel Spark and a Celebration of the Life and Work of James Baldwin to look forward to.

But the festival is not just about readings and live events, as there are plenty of workshops and walking tours alongside these. If you’re looking to get all cultural, check out the festival lineup and keep an eye out for The Mancunion Books Section, where we’ll be previewing and reviewing events from the festival.

Tickets are relatively cheap and student discounts are available. Some events are free but are selling out fast.

Pairing Books With Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department 

To celebrate Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour coming to the UK, we’re here with the perfect book recommendation to match some of our favourite songs!

Audible plunges listeners into the depths of George Orwell’s 1984, leaving me dazed and hooked

Andrew Garfield stars as Winston Smith in ‘George Orwell’s 1984’, bringing Airstrip One to life through Audible’s dramatisation and leaving listeners craving more

The problem with publishing

We often view publishing as a way to make our voices heard on a public scale, but what if it is these same industries creating silence, too?

Spotify vs Audible: The battle for audiobook dominance

With streaming giant Spotify making its first steps into the world of audiobooks, could your next Spotify wrapped be dominated by Sally Rooney and Dolly Alderton rather than Taylor Swift?