gurnaik-johal
21st September 2018

Preview: Manchester Literature Festival

Gurnaik Johal picks out highlights from the upcoming Manchester Literature Festival and looks ahead to an exciting season of literary events
Preview: Manchester Literature Festival

From 30th September to 5th December, Manchester will play host to some of the world’s best writers. The lineup for this year’s Manchester Literature Festival may be the most diverse yet, with poets, novelists, memoirists and non-fiction writers from across the globe taking part in events throughout the city.

From Man Booker-nominated novelists like Esi Edugyan and Guy Gunaratne to household names like Graham Norton and Jo Brand, there’s certainly something for everyone at this year’s festival. Celebrated poets Nick Laird and Terrance Hayes appear alongside acclaimed non-fiction writers like Afua Hirsch, author of BRIT(ish). There’s a great mix of best-selling writers and rising stars; nowhere else will you get the chance to meet the makers of Slay in Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible one day and Olivia Laing, author of Crudo, the next. While most writers at the festival have just brought out new books, some events reappraise older work, what with a Celebration of Muriel Spark and a Celebration of the Life and Work of James Baldwin to look forward to.

But the festival is not just about readings and live events, as there are plenty of workshops and walking tours alongside these. If you’re looking to get all cultural, check out the festival lineup and keep an eye out for The Mancunion Books Section, where we’ll be previewing and reviewing events from the festival.

Tickets are relatively cheap and student discounts are available. Some events are free but are selling out fast.

Summer Daydreaming: Literary escapes from the winter blues

Why not escape winter with these sun-soaked reads? We offer a few recommendations that unveil the warmth of summer reading regardless of the season.

Recommending a book for each Taylor Swift era

Taylor Swift is now more popular than ever and we can’t get enough, so we recommend a book for each of her albums.

International Women’s Day book guide: Celebrating feminists and feminism

Women’s writing should be spotlighted and celebrated all year round, but in the lead up to International Women’s Day, there’s no time like the present so we recommend some of our favourite books

More than Murakami: What does Japanese fiction have to offer?

Why is Japanese fiction becoming so popular? We give some insight into the rise of modern Japanese literature and recommend some of our favourite reads!