• Greater Manchester celebrates Black History Month 2018

joshsandiford

Greater Manchester celebrates Black History Month 2018

October marks Black History Month in the UK, an annual celebration of the history and culture of black people in the UK and of the contribution that they have made
Ardfern @ Wikimedia Commons

October marks Black History Month in the UK, an annual celebration of the history and culture of black people in the UK and of the contribution that they have made.

Black History Month events are taking place across Greater Manchester featuring theatre, film and poetry. A launch event for Black History Month Greater Manchester was held at Manchester Cathedral last week.

The University of Manchester is a partner of Black History Month Greater Manchester 2018.

Some of the key events taking place in Greater Manchester this month include:

Slay In Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible – 12th October
Yomi Adegoke and Elizabeth Uviebinené will be at Manchester Central Library, hosted by Gemma Cairney to “empower and inspire” during the Manchester Literature Festival.

Black Writers Conference – 13th October
Hosted by Cultureworld, the 9th national Black Writers Conference will be held in multiple venues across Manchester on the 13th of October for writers of colour in a conference covering “digital literature, Afro-futurism, mental health, crime, developing audiences, self-publishing and the Black Cultural Economy.”

Generation Revolution – 22nd October
Generation Revolution is a documentary that tells the story of BAME activists attempting to change the “social and political landscape in the capital and beyond.” There will be a screening in Manchester Central Library and tickets can be found on Eventbrite for free.

Ghana and its Contemporary Global Relations with Professor Adams Bodomo – 25th October
Professor Adams Bodomo, a professor of African Studies at the University of Vienna, will be discussing “Ghana’s contemporary position in global politics and international relations” in a public lecture at Manchester Central Libary.

Women in the Law UK Celebrate Black History month – 30th October
In Manchester St James’ Building Black professionals will be celebrating Black History Month and asking questions about the obstacles faced by women, confidence and overcoming failure.

There are many more events going on in Greater Manchester this October to celebrate Black History Month, you can find a full calendar of events on the Black History Month Greater Manchester website.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

UoM’s Chancellor finds institutional discrimination in new London Fire Brigade report

in a leaked report, The University of Manchester’s Chancellor, Nazir Afzal OBE, has found the London Fire Brigade to be institutionally racist and misogynistic
“Whose streets? Our streets” chants echo during Reclaim the Night

This years Reclaim the Night protest saw hundreds of students marching from Fallowfield to the Students Union in protest of gender-based violence
How to claim the University of Manchester’s cost-of-living payment

All full-time students at the University of Manchester are eligible for £170 payments for the cost-of-living crisis, here’s how you can claim yours…
University Watch November: What’s going on around the UK?

A round-up of some of the big news from other Universities in the UK this November