joshsandiford

Greater Manchester celebrates Black History Month 2018

October marks Black History Month in the UK, an annual celebration of the history and culture of black people in the UK and of the contribution that they have made
Ardfern @ Wikimedia Commons

October marks Black History Month in the UK, an annual celebration of the history and culture of black people in the UK and of the contribution that they have made.

Black History Month events are taking place across Greater Manchester featuring theatre, film and poetry. A launch event for Black History Month Greater Manchester was held at Manchester Cathedral last week.

The University of Manchester is a partner of Black History Month Greater Manchester 2018.

Some of the key events taking place in Greater Manchester this month include:

Slay In Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible – 12th October
Yomi Adegoke and Elizabeth Uviebinené will be at Manchester Central Library, hosted by Gemma Cairney to “empower and inspire” during the Manchester Literature Festival.

Black Writers Conference – 13th October
Hosted by Cultureworld, the 9th national Black Writers Conference will be held in multiple venues across Manchester on the 13th of October for writers of colour in a conference covering “digital literature, Afro-futurism, mental health, crime, developing audiences, self-publishing and the Black Cultural Economy.”

Generation Revolution – 22nd October
Generation Revolution is a documentary that tells the story of BAME activists attempting to change the “social and political landscape in the capital and beyond.” There will be a screening in Manchester Central Library and tickets can be found on Eventbrite for free.

Ghana and its Contemporary Global Relations with Professor Adams Bodomo – 25th October
Professor Adams Bodomo, a professor of African Studies at the University of Vienna, will be discussing “Ghana’s contemporary position in global politics and international relations” in a public lecture at Manchester Central Libary.

Women in the Law UK Celebrate Black History month – 30th October
In Manchester St James’ Building Black professionals will be celebrating Black History Month and asking questions about the obstacles faced by women, confidence and overcoming failure.

There are many more events going on in Greater Manchester this October to celebrate Black History Month, you can find a full calendar of events on the Black History Month Greater Manchester website.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society

University receives accreditation from United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)

The University receives accreditation from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), joining the ranks of just five universities in the UK to achieve such recognition