lucinda-obank

Breaking: New Zealand Wines under criminal investigation following police raid

The popular Fallowfield convenience store has been raided after numerous intelligence submissions claiming that the shop was selling nitrous oxide to residents
Fallowfield, the South Manchester suburb where many students will return this month. Photo: James Shuttleworth @ The Mancunion

Fallowfield convenience store New Zealand Wines has been raided by the police this evening.

Officers from the Fallowfield Neighbourhood Policing Team executed a warrant under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016.

Following a series of intelligence submissions, the police were led to believe that staff within New Zealand Wines have been openly selling nitrous oxide and associated paraphernalia from the convenience store.

According to a statement provided by the police numerous Nitrous Oxide canisters have been seized leading to a criminal investigation. The full statement read:

“Today, 7 October 2018, officers from the Fallowfield Neighbourhood Policing Team are currently executing a warrant under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 following numerous intelligence submissions that staff within New Zealand Wine, Wilmslow Road, Fallowfield are openly selling nitrous oxide and associated paraphernalia to local residents.

“Early indication would suggest that a number of Nitrous Oxide canisters have been seized and subsequently a criminal investigation has commenced.

“Officers from Greater Manchester Police will be completing a comprehensive search of the property over the following hours.”

If you wish to report any knowledge or observations of individuals engaging in criminal activity then please do not hesitate to contact GMP on ‘101’ or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 (anonymously or otherwise).”

New Zealand Wines lies directly opposite Owens Park student accommodation in the heart of Fallowfield, making it popular with students.

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies