shivanikaura

Live Review: Bugzy Malone (WHP x MIF)

The King of the North headlines two live shows at The Mayfield Depot as part of a special collaboration with The Warehouse Project
Live Review: Bugzy Malone (WHP x MIF)
Photo: Kacper Kosmaty

Bugzy Malone demonstrates just why he is King of the North, as he puts on not one, but two shows to promote the opening of The Factory as part of Manchester International Festival. This special edition saw Malone, a somewhat outsider of the traditional London grime scene, make a confident return to the stage since his tour almost a year ago.

The Crumpsall-born 27-year-old MC, named after the 1976 children’s gangster musical, earned himself a name after featuring on Fire in the Booth with Charlie Sloth on BBC Radio 1Xtra. Listing inspirations from Tupac Shakur to Quentin Tarantino, Malone grew up merging his influences of rap music with his struggles in prison as a juvenile.

Using his narrative lyricism to put “Manny on the map”, there was no better place to see the man himself. Malone’s quick tongue with a deep Mancunian accent to capture the pressures he faced growing up in Manchester, facing admissions of criminality, depression and debt, compensated with pop song hooks, left the young audience roaring for more.

Although the venue was somewhat chilly and WHP drinks prices raided my back account to keep me warm, Malone sure whipped up a sweat in the crowd, beginning mosh pits that would have left heavy metal fans jealous. The physical presence on stage, exemplified by Malone’s captivating energy and sweat-soaked clothes, showed that he had given this well-thought-out performance his all.

Blending his hard edge with the likes of soul sensation Rag ‘n’ Bone Man to create ‘Run’, Malone demonstrated that grime doesn’t just belong to one stereotype. Shifting from the crowd-pleaser ‘Memory Lane’, sharing lyrics from Oasis’ ‘Wonderwall’, there was no better way to end the night for a crowd of Mancunians.

As someone who has seen Malone a handful of times before, this gig was undoubtedly the best I have seen so far. It was a privilege to be in the presence of the man who gave grime a name up North. A self-made trendsetter, unique and confessional, Buzy Malone really has shown his contribution to the evolution of grime.

10/10

Zara Larsson live in Manchester: Bringing ‘VENUS’ to Manchester’s Academy

Swedish pop sensation Zara Larsson returns to Manchester to headline the Academy after the release of her newest LP, ‘Venus’

The Last Dinner Party – Prelude to Ecstasy: A stellar debut from the UK’s most exciting new act

The Last Dinner Party cement their place as one of the most innovative up-and-coming bands in the UK, showcasing operatic vocals and evocative lyrics on their debut LP

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes live in Manchester: An ecstatic night of rock with the ‘Man of The Hour’

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes return to Manchester Academy after two years, bringing a night of moshpits and mayhem

Laufey live in Manchester: A Valentine’s night ‘bewitched’ by musical charm

Following her recent Grammy victory, Laufey takes the stage for a very special sold-out Valentine’s Day show at Manchester’s Albert Hall