claudianeuray

Halima Cassell: Eclectica – Global Inspirations

Claudia Neuray reviews Halima Cassell’s exhibiton Eclectica – Global Inspirations, which is currently on show at Manchester Art Gallery
Photo: Claudia Neuray

The largest exhibition of Halima Cassell’s work up to date has just opened at Manchester Art Gallery. If you are looking for something refreshing to do for an afternoon, this is a perfect opportunity.

Ceramist and sculptor Halima Cassel was born in Kashmir and grew up in Manchester. Her multicultural heritage, as well as her recent travels to Japan, Italy, and Pakistan, all inform her work. A keen interest in architecture, geometry, and natural forms is also reflected throughout her pieces.

In Cassel’s own words, “I create a mood and feeling of dynamic tension in my work by playfully manipulating the planes and facets of the patterns against each other.”

Throughout the exhibition, one can admire Halima’s exquisitely-shaped pieces. Each line seamlessly merges into the other. Cassell’s talent lies in her ability to visualise patterns. She then transforms these into attractive 3D structures.

The lightness and delicacy of each piece belie the heaviness of the materials used. The various artworks are the product of between 100 and 280 hours or more of work.

Clay pieces are then left for weeks and even months to dry. The firing kiln is the ultimate, most precarious stage. Hours of labour could in an instant be negated. The pieces can crack or even explode under pressure at any time.

One of the most thought-provoking pieces of the exhibition is her latest work, Virtues of Unity. A work in progress, each element is composed of clay from a certain country. Each pattern is unique and portrays a specific positive aspect of the country’s culture. Once finished, Virtues of Unity will represent all 195 nations on earth.

The idea for it emerged from Halima’s international heritage. She was considered an immigrant in Britain. When returning to Pakistan, she was then referred to as a foreigner. This feeling of displacement developed her wish to create a piece which emphasised the commonalities, rather than the distinctions, between every nation.

I would recommend going when the Gallery is least busy. This allows one to fully immerse oneself into the intricacies of each piece, soothing in both their delicacy and detail. All in all, this is an exhibition which is sure to bring you both serenity and food for thought.

Up close and personal with West Art Collective

Antwerp Mansion’s West Art Collective is a rising and unstoppable influence on the Manchester Art Scene. We spot to art director Lucy Indelicate about what makes Antwerp Mansion the perfect place for art
How to DIY the perfect Christmas gift on a budget

Homemade Christmas presents are a shining example of how a little can go a long way. As our budgets tighten this winter, an affordable handmade candle is the perfect gift for friends and family
Creating Christmas at Manchester’s biggest festive fair

As the year ends, Cotton On Manchester has once again provided a wonderful, art-filled respite – the Art All Dayer: Winter Edition

Dandy Style: Men’s fashion from regency to runway

Manchester Art Gallery opens its new Fashion Gallery with an ambitious exploration of men’s clothing, race and identity