matthewloreti
21st February 2019

Hot Right Now: Filth

“If anything, we stand for narcissism and selfishness.”
Hot Right Now: Filth

Filth are an up-and-coming rock outfit hailing from the grey town of Stoke. With a sound that takes inspiration from bands such as The Doors, Black Sabbath and from many different punk bands in the US and UK, Filth are an exhilarating culmination and reflection of the anxieties that are so prominent in our current society.

Their songs feature a mixture of clashing riffs and pounding drums over lyrics that discuss issues from disillusionment to contemporary politics. This can be seen in tracks such as ‘Full English Brexit’ and ‘Magic Money Tree’, which criticise capitalism and political bigotry over a cacophony of raging guitars and driving bass lines. Elsewhere on ‘Tongue To The Ulcer’, the band discuss the desensitisation we face towards art and culture: “We’re just ignorant to it all because we have to be else, you’d have a sensory overload every time you step out of your house…”

Lead singer of the band, Jack Melvin, describes his band as, “just writing songs about issues that affect us personally. So if anything, we stand for narcissism and selfishness.” It’s arguably a refreshing stance to take in our current political climate, where apathy is becoming increasingly commonplace.

Filth are set to play two upcoming dates in Manchester, and missing them would be a wasted opportunity. Catch them playing The Hive on the 1st of March and then Night People on the 4th of April for an unmissable performance.

Matt Loreti

Matt Loreti

I am a musician in several bands, studying History with Economics. I have a great passion for music and love to review and explore ideas relating to music as well as wider political issues in the industry.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT