nicolewootoncane

Universities minister calls summit over “deeply concerning” student accommodation delays

The summit comes after some students have faced delays over the opening of their housing, forcing them into temporary accommodation
Photo: East European apartment block @ Martin Vorel

The government is to take steps to address problems surrounding unregulated private university accommodation following delays in the opening of a number of private accommodation blocks, with students having to be temporarily rehoused at the start of term.

Universities minister Chris Skidmore has called a summit to meet with private developers and universities after a BBC report showed freshers being rehoused after their accommodation was not ready for their arrival.

The report showed delays in 22 private student blocks across the UK, including in cities such as Liverpool, Swansea and Portsmouth. Freshers in Bristol have reported being temporarily moved to Newport in Wales, 30 miles from the university campus, whereas others have been placed in hotels or other accommodation.

Skidmore called the situation “deeply concerning”, and raised concerns about impact on student welfare.

Neither the Office for Students, nor Universities UK, have power to regulate private accommodation, meaning that it is unclear whose responsibility it is to intervene.

Speaking about the summit, Mr Skidmore said: “Higher education providers are independent, but this situation is deeply concerning and we cannot allow this inadequacy to continue. The quality of accommodation can affect student welfare, which is why providers who fail to complete projects on time and provide adequate alternative provision need to be held accountable.

“I shall be calling together representatives from the private student accommodation sector and universities to ensure any impacts on student welfare are being taken seriously by all concerned.”

The problems come after reports that private investment companies are profiting as much as £92.7m a year from private student accommodation, with rent charged to students subject to annual increases.

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Deputy Editor of The Mancunion

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions