meganoyinka

Blaze breaks out at student hotspot Allen’s

Greater Manchester Fire and Service tackled the blaze, reportedly caused by rain and an electric sign outside the shop
Photo: Megan Oyinka @ The Mancunion

Fallowfield favourite Allen’s was attended by emergency services on Tuesday 8th October, after reports that a fire had broken out.

The fried chicken shop, that has gained a cult-like status among students, was engulfed by flames, in an incident reportedly caused by an external sign.

Three fire engines were called to the eatery just before 11am, and spent just under two-and-a-half hours tackling the blaze. The fire does not appear to have caused major damage, with a representative from the establishment confirming to The Mancunion that Allen’s was open as usual.

“We can assure all our loyal Allen’s customers we are open for business. We are now in the process of choosing a brand new Allen’s signboard, which will be better than before.”

Despite this, student community platform Fallowfield Students Group featured a range of dramatic responses to initial reports of a blaze. A post reading “Allen’s is on fire, RIP” broke to the community, followed by almost 300 comments in 24 hours.

One person commented: “sorry to ruin ur morning like this”, with another responding: “I’ve already witnessed it in real life my weeks been ruined… as if third-year couldn’t get any worse.”

Back in July 2017, a branch of the chain in Ashton was also affected by a fire.

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions