meganoyinka

Blaze breaks out at student hotspot Allen’s

Greater Manchester Fire and Service tackled the blaze, reportedly caused by rain and an electric sign outside the shop
Photo: Megan Oyinka @ The Mancunion

Fallowfield favourite Allen’s was attended by emergency services on Tuesday 8th October, after reports that a fire had broken out.

The fried chicken shop, that has gained a cult-like status among students, was engulfed by flames, in an incident reportedly caused by an external sign.

Three fire engines were called to the eatery just before 11am, and spent just under two-and-a-half hours tackling the blaze. The fire does not appear to have caused major damage, with a representative from the establishment confirming to The Mancunion that Allen’s was open as usual.

“We can assure all our loyal Allen’s customers we are open for business. We are now in the process of choosing a brand new Allen’s signboard, which will be better than before.”

Despite this, student community platform Fallowfield Students Group featured a range of dramatic responses to initial reports of a blaze. A post reading “Allen’s is on fire, RIP” broke to the community, followed by almost 300 comments in 24 hours.

One person commented: “sorry to ruin ur morning like this”, with another responding: “I’ve already witnessed it in real life my weeks been ruined… as if third-year couldn’t get any worse.”

Back in July 2017, a branch of the chain in Ashton was also affected by a fire.

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25