hannahconnery
23rd September 2020

Introducing the new Covid-friendly Manchester SU

The building will operate a one-way system
Photo: The Mancunion

Manchester Students’ Union (SU) has reopened with coronavirus safety precautions in place for Welcome Week, including mandatory face masks and more bar space.

The SU will operate a one-way system, with floor signs to encourage social distancing. There are specific entry and exit points to the building for the new academic year.

Manchester Academy, the SU’s live music venue, is open as an extra SU bar throughout Welcome Week. The Foodhall, Brew coffee shop and 532 Bar & Kitchen have also reopened with social-distanced seating spaces.

To enter the SU building, people can only use the main entrance and rear ramp.

The staircase with a passenger lift can be used to access other floors. The central staircase is closed to comply with the one-way system.

Photo: The Mancunion

In the Academy, tables of up to six people from the same household can be booked for at least two hours during Welcome Week. The NHS Track and Trace system will be used to monitor visitors.

Outside seating is also available in new greenhouses at the Academy.

Food and drink can be ordered directly to tables through the Round app. Half price off all orders before 4 pm will be available throughout Welcome Week.

An SU spokesperson said: “Joining the University of Manchester means you’ve become part of the Mancunian community. We ask all of our members to be considerate of each other and the community this Welcome period.

“Please make sure you’re wearing face coverings where possible, to keep up social distancing and to only socialize as a group of six from your own household outdoors.

“We trust you to make good choices, to be responsible and to be an example of the highest standard. Together we can get through this pandemic and be stronger for it.” 

The SU will be hosting both face-to-face and virtual events throughout Welcome Week and the following induction week. These range from virtual Bongo’s Bingo to DJs and Drinks evenings in the Academy.

To book events held by the Student’s Union, click here. Join the Official University of Manchester Welcome Group 2020-2021 on Facebook for updates on Welcome Week. To contact the Students’ Union, visit their website.

Photos: The Mancunion 

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25