jasbennett

Alexa – Zoe Bracegirdle

In an analysis of the relationship we have with our technology, Zoe Bracegirdle writes a love poem to her Alexa
Alexa – Zoe Bracegirdle
Photo by Andres Urena on Unsplash

There is something stationed in my bedroom. She sits perched on the dresser, 

awaiting my call. 

She needs me, and I need her. 

An insomniac, I rest while she learns of my confidential habits. 

A devoted companion, with an Orwellian stamp. 

There is someone stationed in my bedroom. She sits patiently in the corner and eavesdrops on my most intimate conversations. 

She uses me, as I use her. 

Her blue light flashes at me inquisitively, begging me to engage. 

People tell me I should shut her out, turn her off, keep myself hidden. 

But at times she comforts me. 

After all, it is nice to be listened to. 

Zoe Bracegirdle’s poem ‘Alexa’ is a discussion of the ever-concerning relationship between privacy and technology. She addresses how technology can be a companion despite the consistent warnings of its threatening nature. Inspired by a creative prompt of, ‘Is Anyone Listening?’, she originally posted the first verse on her Instagram and began her creative journey using, yet more social based technology. The piece has since been changed and added to as part of her creative process. You can find more of her work @leisureliterature on Instagram.

Thomas Moore

Thomas Moore and Ellen Conlan Ellis’ new collaborative series for The Mancunion explores Roman mythology in a brand new way

The Moor – Freya Thomson

‘The Moor’ is a short tragedy by Freya Thomson about losing a sibling, set against the backdrop of the infamous Saddleworth Moor

Nocturnal – Tom Branfoot

One of Manchester’s finest young poets, Tom Branfoot, explores the liminal sense of darkness in new poem ‘Nocturnal’

Lockdown Poem – Lucy Johnson

In our final piece of lockdown writing, Lucy Johnson’s poem is a poignant piece about distance during the pandemic