robbiebeale

Grime for 2020 – electric flows with Geoblu’s latest single ‘Neck’

An instrumental that feels like the palpable unrest, intensity, and a flow to match, Geoblu’s latest single ‘Neck’ speaks to the anxiety of a generation.
Photo: Geoblu Press Shot

An instrumental that feels like the palpable unrest present on Manchester’s streets, and a flow to match, Geoblu’s latest single ‘Neck’ speaks to the anxiety of a generation.

Geoblu, currently based in Manchester, is a grime artist from London who’s blowing up right now after a number of high-production and higher-energy singles.

Hailing from a strong London rap scene that has dominated British music for a number of years, Geoblu brings fresh blood to the table, and an energy that distinguishes him from contemporaries. Add to that the incredibly tight production of collaborator Swick, and a vocal hook that won’t leave your head for days, and the result is something special.

Taking clear inspiration from the likes of Slowthai and Novelist, Geoblu blends grime with the more colourful and at times playful sides of British rap, culminating in sharp and relatable lyrics.

The refrain “can’t move anywhere ‘cos I’m up to my neck, bad memories I would love to forget” speaks to worries so present in all of our lives, but this song also places emphasis on catharsis. The line “Tension release when I jump on the set” highlights the powerful role music plays when dealing with emotions and stress; something to bear in mind as we are in a second national lockdown. 

The track’s video as well, shot and produced by observe, brings the nail-biting nature of the song to the fore. Tight-angle shots and disconcerting camera effects create a tension that hooks the watcher for the full 3 minutes, never lingering for long enough to feel at ease. 

If Geoblu’s flawless discography is anything to go by, I’d suggest you keep an eye out for future releases, and when the time comes I’ve got no doubt his live shows are absolutely electric. By marrying introspective and agitated energy with a huge, danceable instrumental, Geoblu has created music that speaks for our times. 

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford