joshsandiford

Nancy Rothwell releases apology for not contacting Zac Adan

The University of Manchester Vice-Chancellor, Nancy Rothwell, has released a video apologising for saying that she had written to Zac Adan when she had not

Nancy Rothwell, Manchester University’s Vice-Chancellor, has released a video apologising for saying she had written to Zac Adan, the alleged victim of a racial profiling incident on campus, when, in fact, she had not contacted him.

Adan, a first-year French and Linguistics student, was pinned to a wall by security guards who demanded to see his student ID in video footage that emerged last week.

Hundreds of Manchester students turned out for a spontaneous peaceful protest in response.

In an interview with BBC Newsnight yesterday evening, Rothwell said she had written to Adan to apologise for the incident, and suspended the security guards involved pending an investigation.

Now, she has been forced to reveal Adan did not receive this communication.

Nancy Rothwell’s statement in full:

“The last few weeks have been extremely difficult for everybody, but particularly for this University. 

“Last night, I appeared on BBC Newsnight. It was a difficult interview. 

“This morning, I realised that one of the things I said in that interview, with good intent, was, in fact, incorrect. 

“I said that I had written to the student that was involved in a serious incident on the 13th of November. 

“I found out today that, in fact, that was not included in correspondence to him. 

“I am devastated that I made the wrong remark on national television. 

“I’ve written to sincerely apologise to the student. We’ve also contacted Newsnight, and I’m now telling you about this mistake. 

“I can’t tell you how sorry I am about it. I can only commit to the fact that I am passionate about this University, about our staff, our students, and our values, which, of course, include zero tolerance of any discrimination, and support for everybody within it, and I will do the very best I can to uphold those values, and to support our University.”

Read more: 

UoM security guards suspended following incident of racial profiling 

‘I got stopped because I’m black and wearing a tracksuit’: Zac Adan speaks out at student protest

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25