lauryndenagyberry1

The life of a woman: Part 1

A new lifestyle series created to celebrate and draw awareness to wonderful and difficult experiences women face on a daily basis
The life of a woman: Part 1
Photo: AnnaliseArt @ Pixabay

On the 13th of March, I sat at my bedroom window at 9:30 p.m., lit a candle, and waited for the street below me to pop up with flames. It didn’t. But a few minutes later, two bright lights across the road shone brightly in the arms of two shadowy figures.

This is the life of a woman.

That week was sorrowfully marked by the confirmation of Sarah Everard’s death, following her disappearance. In just a week, the country went through waves of shock, fear, and finally, mourning. The country, yes, but mainly women, who ever since the first time they found themselves alone, have been fighting to stay alive, to stay safe, to stay in a position of consent.

But people vanish all the time, why is this death so different from all the others?

It’s different because we have had enough. We, as women, are beyond grief. Just as in the summer of 2020, the Black Lives Matter movement took flight after the death of George Floyd, after ‘just another death caused by police brutality and systemic racism,’ Sarah’s ‘just another disappearance’ is the last straw.

Sadly, she will not be the last. Sadly, it is not in our power, as women, to change the situation alone. But that does not mean that we cannot show our grief, our anger, and our hope for a better future.

The Life of a Woman series will shine a light on the lives of young women in Manchester and their various experiences, the good and bad, the hard and wonderful, all of which represent the daily life of a woman.

We encourage our readers to share their stories and to create a safe community where women can express themselves, voice their fears, and move towards a safer, more equal, and kinder environment.

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence