benjaminklaubergriffiths

GOLDEN OLDIES: The Watermelon Woman – A Landmark in Black Film History

Re-visiting Caryl Dunye’s landmark film ‘The Watermelon Woman’
Photo: Rich Polk @ Getty Images for IMDB

Credited as the first feature film ever to be directed by a black lesbian, Cheryl Dunye’s 1996 The Watermelon Woman is an important exploration of both historical and contemporary race issues in cinema.

Following a woman called Cheryl, played by, and presumably based on director Cheryl Dunye herself, the film depicts an aspiring filmmaker struggling for creativity. Upon watching some older films, she becomes fascinated by the ‘Black Mammy’ archetype found in early Hollywood. As her interest grows, the film draws attention to the lack of credit given to black actresses during the mid-20th century. 

The film itself is a scathing, meta critique of film academia, confronting the lack of representation in cinema as well as addressing the black-woman-shaped gaps left in the history even by supposed feminist academics. One line, when Cheryl talks about a book called Hollywood Lesbians, dismissively written by a male academic, sees her say, “I wonder if he’s a lesbian”. The quip accurately sums up tone of the film; witty and funny but without losing sight of what it sets out to address.

Without feeling preachy or boring, Dunye’s direction and the various visual styles she employs, gives the film a feeling of intimacy and authenticity, which make it an endearing and easy watch. A must see in the age of BLM, the themes it addresses are just as historically significant today.

Written by Dominic Hayes.

Wicked Little Letters review: Profanity and mystery in 1920s England

Come for the endless profanity but stay for Olivia Colman in this new comedy set in 1920s England

Preview: Manchester Film Festival returns to the Great Northern | MFF 2024

Manchester Film Festival returns once again to the Odeon Great Northern, this time they’re celebrating 10 years of introducing cutting-edge cinema to the city’s audience

Uncut film takes: The biggest Oscar snubs of the last 10 years

Which films deserved a win or even just a nomination? We’re here to correct history

My first night at the Oscars: The 2024 Academy Awards as seen from my laptop

The Oscars aired for the first time on ITV this year but is it really worth staying up to watch them?