owenscott
25th August 2022

‘Sweet Tooth’- The new single from Maya Hawke

Stranger Things star and Hollywood royalty Maya Hawke’s new single ‘Sweet Tooth’ cements her place in the music industry following her debut album Blush.
Maya Hawke attends the ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ premiere (July 22 2019)Photo: Glenn Francis @ Pacific Pro Digital, via Wikimedia Commons

By now, almost everyone has seen the new season of Stranger Things, so Maya Hawke has become a household name.

If this wasn’t enough, maybe you’ve heard of her because of her parents, Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke. Hawke stepped outside of her celebrity family and the hit show that made her known across the world though, launching her own music career, making her name truly her own. With a debut album, Blush, already under her belt, Hawke cements her spot in the music industry with ‘Sweet Tooth’, the second single from her upcoming album Moss.

‘Sweet Tooth’ is a breezy acoustic track, where the first thing you’ll notice is how wordy it is. It’s a story condensed down into a song. Hawke’s singing accommodates this diaristic style, as she sings quickly, mirroring her own self-confessed quick talking in interviews. The chorus goes by in a flash, but never feels rushed, her voice instead playfully dashing past.

The guitar matches the vocals, in its rapid, delicate sounds. The folky acoustic guitar creates a natural sound, with an endearing warmth coming through. This creates a sense of nostalgia in the song’s instrumentation, which is apparent too in the music video, which is filmed in a style that mimics nostalgic home movies.

Overall, ‘Sweet Tooth’ shows great promise in Hawke as a singer-songwriter. Although her parents are often brought up when referencing her, ‘Sweet Tooth’ shows that she’s a star in her own right in the music industry, just as her performance in ‘Stranger Things’ earned Hawke her own spot as an actress.

Listen to ‘Sweet Tooth’ on Spotify and be sure to catch Moss on 23rd September.

Owen Scott

Owen Scott

Head Arts Editor at the Mancunion and culture journalist