jaydarcy

Musicals of Manchester: October

Find out what musicals are coming to Manchester this October!
Musicals of Manchester: October
Photo: The Lion King.

Manchester has the greatest theatre scene outside of London. There’s numerous theatres, and a diverse selection of theatre (plays, cabaret, etc.), but musicals are, without a doubt, the most popular form of theatre. So here are the musicals coming to Manchester (and Salford) this October!

Mrs. Doubtfire

Opera House

Friday 2nd September – Saturday 1st October

“A hilarious and heartfelt story about holding onto your loved ones against all odds, Mrs. Doubtfire is the musical comedy we need right now.

Out-of-work actor Daniel will do anything for his kids. After losing custody in a messy divorce, he creates the ​alter ego of Scottish nanny Euphegenia Doubtfire in a desperate attempt to stay in their lives. As his new character takes on a life of its own, Mrs. Doubtfire teaches Daniel more than he bargained for about how to be a father.

Mrs. Doubtfire has been created by a transatlantic team of award-winning artists, with a book by Karey Kirkpatrick and John O’Farrell, original music and lyrics by Wayne and Karey Kirkpatrick, (the Tony Award-nominated team behind Something Rotten!, along with O’Farrell), direction by 4-time Tony winner Jerry Zaks (Hello, Dolly!), scenic design by David Korins (Hamilton), choreography by Lorin Latarro (Waitress), and music supervision by Ethan Popp (Tina: The Tina Turner Musical).”

Production shot
Photo: Mrs. Doubtfire.

Fisherman’s Friends

The Lowry (Lyric Theatre)

Tuesday 27th September – Saturday 1st October

“Fall for this record-breaking great British musical – hook line and sinker!

The true story of the Cornish chart topping buoy band

Based on the true story of the chart-topping Cornish singing sensations and their hit 2019 movie, Fisherman’s Friends: The Musical is a feel-good voyage about friendship, community and music which smashed box office records in Cornwall.

When a group of Cornish fishermen came together to sing the traditional working songs they’d sung for generations, nobody, least of all the fishermen, expected the story to end on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury. They are spotted by a fish-out-of-water music manager on a trip from London, who must learn that there is more to life than selling your sole for fifteen minutes of fame.

A star cast includes James Gaddas, (Coronation Street, Billy Elliot the Musical), Parisa Shahmir (Mamma Mia!), Robert Duncan (Drop the Dead Donkey), Anton Stephans (The X Factor) and Susan Penhaligon (Bouquet of Barbed Wire).

So, climb aboard, find your sea legs and allow yourself to fall for this critically acclaimed musical – hook, line and sinker!”

Photo: Fisherman’s Friends.

Saturday Night Fever

Palace Theatre

“Experience the best selling Bee Gees soundtrack live on stage in this spectacularly reimagined music and dance extravaganza.

Follow the story of Tony Manero as he embarks on a reckless yet thrilling road to dancing success.

It’s a homage to the 1977 John Travolta classic with more drama, more music, and hot new choreography which is sure to have you dancing all the way home.

Featuring songs from the bestselling movie soundtrack of all time, including the Bee Gees’ Stayin’ Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Night Fever, Tragedy and More Than a Woman, as well as 70s favourites Boogie Shoes, Disco Inferno and many more.”

Production shot
Photo: Saturday Night Fever.

Beautiful

Palace Theatre

Tuesday 11th – Saturday 15th October

“Long before she was Carole King, the chart-topping music legend, she was an ordinary girl with an extraordinary talent.

Beautiful tells the inspiring true story of King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from being part of a hit song-writing team with her husband Gerry Goffin, to her relationship with fellow writers and best friends Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, to becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history.
Along the way, she wrote the soundtrack to a generation, with countless classics such as (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural WomanTake Good Care of My BabyYou’ve Got a FriendSo Far Away, It Might as Well Rain Until SeptemberUp on the Roof, and The Locomotion.”

Production shot
Photo: Beautiful.

The Color Purple

The Lowry (Lyric Theare)

Tuesday 11th – Saturday 15th October

“Based on Alice Walker’s Pulitzer prize-winning novel and adapted for the stage by Pulitzer Prize and Tony award-winner Marsha Norman, Allee Willis, Brenda Russell and Stephen Bray, The Color Purple tells the powerful and life-affirming story of courageous heroine Celie. Abused and oppressed throughout her youth, Celie embarks on a journey through joy, despair, anguish and hope, discovering her own unique voice thanks to the incredible women in her life. From an unbreakable bond with her sister Nettie, to friendship with fiercely independent Sofia and a life-changing affair with glamorous singer Shug Avery, Celie learns to love herself.

With a profoundly evocative score by Grammy award-winners Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray and drawing inspiration from jazz, ragtime, gospel and blues, this landmark musical celebrates life, love and the strength to stand up for who you are and what you believe in.”

Photo: The Color Purple.

Blood Brothers

The Lowry (Lyric Theare)

Tuesday 18th – Saturday 27th October

“Written by Willy Russell, the legendary Blood Brothers tells the captivating and moving tale of twins who, separated at birth, grow up on opposite sides of the tracks, only to meet again with fateful consequences.

Few musicals have been received with such acclaim as the multi-award-winning Blood Brothers. Bill Kenwright’s production surpassed 10,000 performances in London’s West End, one of only three musicals ever to achieve that milestone. It has been affectionately christened the ‘Standing Ovation Musical’, as inevitably it “brings the audience cheering to its feet and roaring its approval” (The Daily Mail).

The superb score includes Bright New Day, Marilyn Monroe and the emotionally charged hit Tell Me It’s Not True.”

Photo: Blood Brothers.

The Lion King

Palace Theatre

Thursday 27th October 2022 – Sunday 19th February 2023

“Set against the majesty of the Serengeti Plains and to the evocative rhythms of Africa, Disney’s multi award-winning musical is a unique theatrical experience that you will remember forever.

At its heart is the powerful story of Simba and his epic adventure to his destined role as King of the Pridelands.”

Production shot
Photo: The Lion King.

Jersey Boys

Opera House

Tuesday 18th – Saturday 29th October

“The internationally acclaimed stage sensation Jersey Boys is working its way back around the UK!

They were just four guys from Jersey, until they sang their very first note. They had a sound nobody had ever heard … and the radio just couldn’t get enough of.  But while their harmonies were perfect on stage, off stage it was a very different story – a story that has made them an international sensation all over again. The show features all their hits including SherryBig Girls Don’t CryOh What A Night, Walk Like A Man, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You and Working My Way Back To You.

“Go behind the music and inside the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons in the Olivier Award-winning, original Broadway sensation, Jersey Boys. From the streets of New Jersey to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, this is the musical that’s too good to be true.”

Production shot
Photo: Jersey Boys.

Friendsical

The Lowry (Quays Theatre)

Monday 31st October – Saturday 5th November

Friendsical is an original and unique new parody musical inspired by the gang in Friends, the iconic TV show.

When Ross’s wife leaves him for another woman, he fears he will never find love again. But then Rachel runs back into his life… will he end up with his one true love?

With original new songs such as (He’s her) Lobster!, Richard’s Moustache and You’re Over Me, When Were You Under Me?, the gang take on naked Thursdays, a power cut, and a dinosaur convention! What could possibly go wrong?”

Photo: Friendsical.
So, there you have it – a splendid selection of marvellous musicals to choose from! Stay tuned for what’s on in November.
Jay Darcy

Jay Darcy

Theatre Editor. Instagram & Twitter: @jaydarcy7. Email: [email protected].