Queer Contact: Celebrating LGBT+ History Month at Contact Theatre

Contact’s flagship queer arts festival, Queer Contact, is back this LGBTQ+ History Month – with a lineup as eclectic and electric as ever
Photo: The Cocoa Butter Club

Every February, Contact marks LGBTQ+ History Month with their flagship queer arts festival. Queer Contact, a celebration of queer culture, features a lineup of the UK’s most extraordinary LGBTQ+ talent. This year’s Queer Contact is extra special because it is the first since Keisha Thompson stepped into the roles of Contact’s Artistic Director and CEO. Thompson is the first Black, female, and under-30 to run Contact, and she’s already doing a fabulous job. Queer Contact 2023 might just be the best yet! Check out the listings below.

House of Suarez presents The Disco Ball

Manchester Academy

February 4th

“First up, we have House of Suarez’s DISCO BALL taking its legendary centre-stage spot. Get your dancing shoes on, and we’ll see you at the ball.”

I have attended House of Suarez’ Vogue Ball thrice before; I reviewed the past two events. Check out my reviews of Vogue Ball of Atlantis (2020) and Vogue Ball – Night at the Poseum (2022) so you know what to expect!

Girl Gang MCR: Speed Mate-ing 2023

Contact

February 6th-7th

“Taking inspiration from dating shows, bad business meetings, teenage sleepovers, art attack and agony aunts, Girl Gang invite you to undertake creative challenges and respond to conversational topics, creating authentic connections between new friends, quickly and fear-free!”

The Cocoa Butter Club

Contact

February 9th

“Next,  The Cocoa Butter Club are here to moisturise a dry and dusty performance scene by showcasing Queer performers of colour!”

Gallifrey Cabaret

Contact

February 10th

“Jump aboard the queerest TARDIS in time and space for a night of cosmic drag and cabaret, all inspired by the greatest TV show in the universe – DOCTOR WHO.”

Ladyfriends: Writing from LGBTQ+ History

Contact

February 10th

“Join writer and director Clodagh Chapman for this insight into making new work from queer history, drawing on her latest production Ladyfriends.”

The Bitten Peach presents Peach Chutney

Contact

February 10th

“Calling all gorgeous passengers to the Queer Contact lounge as we prepare to jet you off on an epic airline voyage! Your Sexy, Silly, Sassy & South Asian flight crew are ready to cater to your every need.”

Check out my review of The Bitten Peach at Queer Contact 2022!

Outspoken

Contact

February 11th

“Join some of the North West’s finest queer spoken word artists as Outspoken returns for a spellbinding evening of performance.”

Outspoken Poetry Workshop

Contact

February 11th

“Join one of the North West’s finest poets for a workshop exploring queer joy.”

50 Things That Shaped Me with Fisayo Akinade

Contact

February 14th

“Join Fisayo Akinade as he shares 50 things that shaped him in conversation with Contact Artistic Director and CEO Keisha Thompson, as part of Contact’s 50th-anniversary celebrations.”

When All is Said

Performed live, over the phone

February 14th

“What secrets would you tell a complete stranger? Contained within these new stories by Travis Alabanza, Felix Mufti-Wright, Octavia Nyombi, Ebun Sodipo and Campbell X, are secrets – and you’re invited to listen.”

Grandmother’s Closet

Contact

February 16th

“Join Luke Hereford (he/they) on a journey of queer self-discovery through the glamorous spirit of his Nan, all to the tune of Madonna, Kylie, Kate Bush and his favourite pop divas.”

Please note, this show is part of a double bill. Secure tickets to An Audience with Milly Liu and Grandmother’s Closet for £16 for both shows.

An Audience with Milly-Liu

Contact

February 16th

“The cat’s out of the bag and Milly-Liu is ready to spill the beans on all your favourite celebrity pussies. She’s worked with the best of them, and been to bed with the rest of them! Come join her (if you dare), but be warned, she’ll throw you around like a half-dead mouse.”

Lady Bushra: Robbed

Contact

February 17th

“Don’t miss the chance to see the hilarious and iconic drag comedian Lady Bushra as this ‘teenage’ starlet takes you on quite the unique journey! Hailed from the ‘exotic land of Bradford’ Bushra is your South Asian ‘Karen’ so get ready to hear her unique take on how everything is anybody’s fault but hers.”

Dzifa: Watch Party

Contact

February 18th

“We are inviting audiences to join us on this intimate, rhythmic journey as we watch Dzifa, a short film directed by Savannah Acquah, and ask Queer Black artists to respond to a variety of the film’s themes.”

Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister: You Keep Me Hangin’ On

Contact

February 18th

“Breakout stars of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK Season 2 (and the two most despised queens), Ginny Lemon & Sister Sister are trying to bring you the most disappointing drag show you’ve ever seen!”

So, there you have it – a fortnight-long queer extravaganza, beginning with a bombacious ball and ending with the most disappointing drag show you’ve ever seen! There really is something for everybody.