MDMYay or MDMNay?

An anonymous contributor asks whether party drugs are really worth it

Upon reflection, my entire life, and perhaps yours too (along with most citizens of the over-medicated West) has been an alarmingly constant binge, a towering list of one drug-addled rampage after the next. At age five I was the kid on a North West London street corner swigging Calpol from a brown paper bag. I’ve smoked enough weed to realise that I’m boring on it. I’ve blacked out drunk more times than I can remember. Most terribly, I’m also sorely dependent on caffeine. Then there are the painkillers: Ibuprofen, Tramadol and Codeine. Class acts, all of the above, but none of them Class A.

Then came a post-exams blitz, as a two-week slog of work came to an end and students began again to do what students do best.

At a night out, I took two doses of MDMA. This was my first ever contact with ‘party drugs’ but I wasn’t worried since I knew all my good friends were having it too. This is not a total damnation of the drug—for all I know the dealer mixed our stuff with Speed and Ricin—but merely a self-reflective exercise that will maybe make some people approach drugs like MDMA with more caution. After forty-five minutes I began to feel definite effects, and from midnight until three (roughly when I had more of it) I was convinced that I was having the best night of my life. I was a space Communist riding out into oblivion with my best friends and loving every second, in perfect harmony with the music (blatantly I wasn’t though) and my species. We stayed until the party broke apart and I felt pretty much fine.

From there I went to three separate houses, mainly because I wanted to be among company during the dreaded comedown I’d heard so much about. Sweats, shakes and paranoia were taking hold. Under the influence of this new and confusing drug I was consuming anything that people suggested would make me feel better, including beer, weed, serotonin replacement pills and herbal tea. None of it helped. I was pacing and stuttering like a cannibal. Long story short, myself and a friend ended up in A&E at around 2pm having not slept whatsoever, and I had blood tests and an ECG which revealed my heart rate to be a steady 160bpm. Most adults have a resting heart rate between 60 – 100bpm.

Pins and needles, facial numbness, uncontrolled limb movements, chest pains and incredible difficulty breathing were my main symptoms. Constant thirst, nausea and sleep-deprived delirium added to the horror. After several hours of attentive care from my friend and the hospital staff, who put me on a drip and did their best to sedate me, I was allowed to go home that night. After a spasmodic fourteen-hour sleep I was fine.

Since then I have carefully weighed up my two very different experiences of MDMA. Negative was considerably heavier on the scale, and based upon this I will never take it again.

Come back next week for ‘My First Ether Binge’, which I’m off to research now.

• Life Skills and Citizenship

Mate – you went wrong. Two “doses”? How much did you take and how far apart? You want to invest in a decent electronic scale so you can measure your consumption accurately and not eye-ball it and take way too much. Also, you should only bump if you think you are done and about to crash. Be wary of fake crashes (feeling like crap for about 5 mins), you could be just in a lull and about to shoot up again. Never bump just because you can.

It sounds like you didn’t buy it at the club as it was planned with friends, good moves, but it still sounds like your dealer mugged you off. Anyone not selling by weight is so far down the supply chain you might as well cut out the middle man and buy the rat poison yourself from a hardware store. Find a good dealer on the darkweb (preferably someone who deals in big quantities so you know it’s most likely that they will have a steady supply) and always buy from the same person (as long as they are good). That way at least hopefully whatever you are taking is consistent strength and constituency.

From your symptoms, it sounds like you took way too much for your tolerance and it was probably mixed with speed (very common substitute). That said, you did the right thing being cautious and getting checked out. Unless you’ve got a pocket full of the stuff, even a police officer will get you medical help if you tell them you took some MD and think something’s gone wrong. At some point in the consumption phase (back of the throat?) it’s no longer a crime.

• Street Skills &Gang Membership

You claim to be knowledgeable on these topics ‘Life Skills and Citizenship’ but you clearly don’t know that hardware store rat poison is a very mild high – similar to smoke half a dozen or so cigarettes at once and not particularly long lasting. For those actually into their hardware store highs I recommend a nice 500ml can of Krylon with the extended nozzle to avoid wastage. Especially keep your eyes peeled for the acrylic and ‘of the year’ edition – both offer an extendible duo nozzle so you can put one up your nose and one in your mouth and hey presto: good times. Don’t bother with class As or anything that you have to snort or swallow or plug, there probably over a 1000 cans of Krylon at your local hardware store and they were made to be used!