2nd December 2010

Top 5: Weepies

1) City of Angels – Nicolas Cage plays an angel who falls in love with Meg Ryan. It actually sounds a bit comical. Trust me, it isn’t. The bicycle scene, combined with Sara McLachlan’s ‘In the Arms an Angel’ is the most depressing thing that you’ll ever see. Or hear.2) Beauty and the Beast – A tale as old as time, a song as old a rhyme – it gets me every time.

Noah and Allie

1) City of Angels – Nicolas Cage plays an angel who falls in love with Meg Ryan. It actually sounds a bit comical. Trust me, it isn’t. The bicycle scene, combined with Sara McLachlan’s ‘In the Arms an Angel’ is the most depressing thing that you’ll ever see. Or hear.

2) Beauty and the Beast – A tale as old as time, a song as old a rhyme – it gets me every time.

3) The Time Traveller’s Wife – With just enough sci-fi jargon to interest even the surliest of males, (chrono-displacement anyone?), this adaptation of Audrey Niffenegger’s hit novel is tear-inducing brilliance at it’s best.

4) A Walk to Remember – The schools badass falls for sweet little good-girl Jamie. If that wasn’t enough of a story for you, she’s also kind-of dying. Nick Sparks just loves his emotional deaths.

5) The Notebook – Nicholas Sparks continues on his mission to reduce every woman into a sobbing, Ben and Jerry’s – eating mess on the sofa, with the heartbreaking story of Noah and Allie. Not so popular with the guys but I’m sure the promise of Rachael McAdams in her bathing suit could be used to persuade most red-blooded males to give it a go.

Beth Cook, Film Editor

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?