joe-smart

Parklife Festival 2011

Manchester’s own end-of-exams summer festival returned with a sterling line-up, including names such as Chase and Status, Kelis and Mark Ronson.

Parklife Festival

11th-12th June

Platt Fields, Manchester 

Standout act 

Despite D/R/U/G/S offering a decent effort and the hoards telling everyone that the sun shone out of Katy B’s arse, the standout, for my money, was DJ Shadow. Making great use of visual effects in a show rumoured to have cost £10, 000, Shadow proved he’s still a major player in beat production with a masterfully mixed, electric set.

Biggest Flop

Poor Kelis. Not sure what she was aiming for, but her set consisted mostly of borrowed beats. Listening a mile away, you’d be forgiven for thinking you’d missed a set including Tinie Tempah, David Guetta and, strangely, Nirvana. Despite sounding like the Top 40, crowd favourites ‘Millionaire’ and ‘Milkshake’ still made an appearance, thank God.

Surprise Package

Not much of an unknown these days, but Darwin Deez fulfilled his hype with a high energy set, which the crowd responded to readily. DOOM so nearly won out, but his well-attended show was hampered by quiet vocals and a surprising lack of a DJ – it looked like the mask-wearing rapper was flicking through an iPod for half the set.

Atmosphere 

Despite looking like a festival-edition of Hollyoaks, Parklife is close to the hearts of most Fallowfield residents, becoming an end-of-exams tradition. With most attendees being students, there’s a chance you’ll run into familiar faces; fingers crossed it wasn’t that last-resort you were hoping you’d never see again.

Worth the money? 

At 60 notes, loans wont be rationed too strictly for this excursion. It’ll get bigger and better, but probably more expensive.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT