ruth-wildman

Police launch non-emergency number, 101

Greater Manchester Police attempt to reduce pressure on the 999 system

Police have launched a new non-emergency phone number, 101, to make reporting a crime or getting advice easier for residents.

The new number is an attempt to make it easier for people to contact the police force, should an immediate response not be needed. People are urged to call 101 when reporting stolen cars, damage to property or giving information on a crime in their area. People are urged to call 999 if an urgent response is required.

The 101 number is replacing the old 0161 872 5050 that was used for non-emergencies.

Assistant Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said, “More than three-quarters of calls to 999 are for non-emergency incidents. Having a number that’s easier to remember will not only make police more accessible to our communities, but also reduce the pressure on the 999 system, allowing us to attend the most urgent calls more effectively.”

Calls to the new number 101 will still be handled by Greater Manchester Police operators, making sure the way in which calls are dealt with will be the same as before the new number was launched.

Calls to the new number will be charged at a flat rate of 15 pence.

Greater Manchester Police launched the new number as part of a national scheme, and joined Cheshire and Merseyside in switching to the number on November 23. The number is expected to be in use nationwide by December 2011.

Ruth Wildman

Ruth Wildman

Former News Editor (2011-2012).

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine

Nominations for Students’ Union Awards 2024 now open

Students can nominate themselves or others for the awards, which fall into four separate categories, with each award having its own awards night

UNiDAYS announce opening of Student Woman of the Year competition

The UNiDAYS-run competition aims to support female students who are making a difference and offers a £10,000 first prize for entrepreneurial initiatives