paul-frame

Classic album: Kings of Leon – Aha Shake Heartbreak

Aha Shake Heartbreak is the type of album rock and roll so sorely needs now.

Kings of Leon
Aha Shake Heartbreak
RCA
Released November 2004

Before being backed by choirs of African children, filming videos in New York penthouses and playing to as many Galaxy radio listeners they could squeeze into flat pack stadiums; Kings of Leon built a loyal UK fanbase with three raw, sleazy, frenetic albums. The pick of them for many is 2004’s Aha Shake Heartbreak.

Released shortly after their first effort Youth & Young Manhood, the sex and cocaine fuelled tales of their debut spilled over onto the follow up, with the opening track ‘Slow Night, So Long’ setting the scene for more debauchery. Frontman Caleb Followill charmingly takes us step by step through what doesn’t seem to be his proudest conquest with a track that builds and builds, before closing triumphantly with the killer line that seals the deal: “You’re not so nice but sex sells so cheap”. I’ll take that over ‘Use Somebody’ any day of the week.

The album continues at a frantic pace with a raw rock and roll sound accompanied by Caleb’s sometimes inaudible Tennessee vocals, leaving lines open to interpretation in the likes of ‘Taper Jean Girl’ and ‘Pistol of Fire’. This gives way to the tranquil fan-favourite ‘Milk’, one of the album’s more tender moments with a beautiful bass driven chorus before the tremendous single ‘The Bucket’ which gives us a sobering outlook of the non-stop rock and roll lifestyle.

‘Soft’ unashamedly takes us through a frustrating tale of erectile dysfunction and the party regains momentum with ‘Razz’ and the riotous ‘Four Kicks’ bringing the chaos back to the second half of the album. ‘Rememo’ then concludes proceedings with a soft, swaying song of reflection.

Aha Shake Heartbreak is the type of album rock and roll so sorely needs now, it’s a shame its creators are no longer capable of producing it.

Kings of Leon – The Bucket