emily-lean

Vive le Cabaret

Vive Le Cabaret’s dazzling Valentine’s Day special promised a night to remember and it certainly did not disappoint. The venue and soundtrack at The Lowry Theatre were an ideal setting for the night’s flamboyant events with red satin tables, classy decor and a medley of old jazz and swing with a contemporary edge. The night […]

Vive Le Cabaret’s dazzling Valentine’s Day special promised a night to remember and it certainly did not disappoint. The venue and soundtrack at The Lowry Theatre were an ideal setting for the night’s flamboyant events with red satin tables, classy decor and a medley of old jazz and swing with a contemporary edge.

The night was hosted by MC Des O’Connor who kept the audience entertained, rowdy and full of expectation. The face-painted extrovert’s unique way of warming the crowd consisted of playful antics such as making them whisper cheeky come-ons into their neighbour’s ears. O’Connor secured the audience involvement with comedic sing-alongs and encouraged raucous heckling so successfully that some of the comments from the house outshone some of the acts themselves.

The extravaganza incorporated comedic silliness with cabaret and aerobic marvels. The most impressive was the confident Edd Muir, whose talents include stunning fire juggling, a daring whip routine and a pole number that finished with him pouring cola down his oh-so toned torso to the delighted shrieks of the women in the audience.

Gypsy Charm’s solo act brought some much anticipated burlesque to proceedings, with a grinding strip tease that sent male body temperatures sky high. The only disappointment to the evenings events were the quartet Hustle, the opening act whose tame routines fell flat in comparison.

The climax of the show was the Rayguns Look Real Enough, a bonkers mashup duo, who brought the audience close to tears with one of the singer’s skintight tiger outfit that revealed his striking pot belly. Their laugh-out-loud live music and outrageous flirting with unsuspecting members of the audience proved they were worthy of their headline act title.

Vive Le Cabaret is not a spectacle for the faint hearted but is a perfect treat for those who want to revel in a camp and hilariously naughty take on cabaret.

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own