emily-lean

Vive le Cabaret

Vive Le Cabaret’s dazzling Valentine’s Day special promised a night to remember and it certainly did not disappoint. The venue and soundtrack at The Lowry Theatre were an ideal setting for the night’s flamboyant events with red satin tables, classy decor and a medley of old jazz and swing with a contemporary edge. The night […]

Vive Le Cabaret’s dazzling Valentine’s Day special promised a night to remember and it certainly did not disappoint. The venue and soundtrack at The Lowry Theatre were an ideal setting for the night’s flamboyant events with red satin tables, classy decor and a medley of old jazz and swing with a contemporary edge.

The night was hosted by MC Des O’Connor who kept the audience entertained, rowdy and full of expectation. The face-painted extrovert’s unique way of warming the crowd consisted of playful antics such as making them whisper cheeky come-ons into their neighbour’s ears. O’Connor secured the audience involvement with comedic sing-alongs and encouraged raucous heckling so successfully that some of the comments from the house outshone some of the acts themselves.

The extravaganza incorporated comedic silliness with cabaret and aerobic marvels. The most impressive was the confident Edd Muir, whose talents include stunning fire juggling, a daring whip routine and a pole number that finished with him pouring cola down his oh-so toned torso to the delighted shrieks of the women in the audience.

Gypsy Charm’s solo act brought some much anticipated burlesque to proceedings, with a grinding strip tease that sent male body temperatures sky high. The only disappointment to the evenings events were the quartet Hustle, the opening act whose tame routines fell flat in comparison.

The climax of the show was the Rayguns Look Real Enough, a bonkers mashup duo, who brought the audience close to tears with one of the singer’s skintight tiger outfit that revealed his striking pot belly. Their laugh-out-loud live music and outrageous flirting with unsuspecting members of the audience proved they were worthy of their headline act title.

Vive Le Cabaret is not a spectacle for the faint hearted but is a perfect treat for those who want to revel in a camp and hilariously naughty take on cabaret.

We’re kicking off our new feature, Making Manchester, by quizzing photographer Anna Marsden about her practice and what inspires her

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?