tom-geddes

Preview: Download Festival

Loud, crammed and for the most part jolly, though there may be a few more shouts of “SLAYER!!!” at 5am.

Download
8th-10th June
Donington Park

Tickets: £200 w/ camping

Whilst competition in recent years has led to a, perhaps, watered down line-up for Download, this year sees its rock/metal festival dominance restored. Boasting headliners Black Sabbath, Metallica playing the black album in full and, surprisingly, The Prodigy, as well as one of the strongest undercards in a fair while, Download looks ready to slay this year.

Covering just about all of rock and metal, you can pluck any sub-genre you like and find it on display this year. Fancy some old-school thrash, well there’s Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax. Want to blast out some classic rock, go see Slash, Europe and Sebastian Bach. Even the obscure is covered, with Ghost, Opeth and Devin Townsend covering the death metal/prog crossover geeks, Skindred satisfying the ragga metal demand and Tenacious D and Steel Panther sorting the laughs.

Atmosphere wise, it’s just like any other large festival; loud, crammed and for the most part jolly; though there may be a few more shouts of “SLAYER!!!” at 5am. But really, who cares about the line-up. When you throw all the above in the mix with Soundgarden, Dropkick Murphys, Kyuss Lives!, Rise Against and Machine Head, who’d be turning this one down?

Visit the Download website for more details.

Tom Geddes

Tom Geddes

Former Music Columnist (2011-2012).

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility