michael-williams

Tory councillor sacked after ‘joke’ about murdered policewomen

Councillor made off-colour remark to the wife of a serving officer

Conservative councillor for Derbyshire, David Stephenson, has been sacked from his post after making a joke about murdered Greater Manchester police officers Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes.The wife of Nottinghamshire officer Sergeant Jason Farrar was shocked when Stephenson remarked to her: “If you get 100 points for shooting one policewoman and 200 points for shooting two policewomen, how many do you get for shooting a lawyer?”

Ian Hanson, chair of the Greater Manchester Police Federation, called Stephenson’s comments “an absolute disgrace.”

When Sargeant Farrar called Stephenson to confront him about the ‘joke’, he claims Stephenson replied by saying “go away, you silly man.”

Councillor Stephenson claims to have made the comment because he is “very anti-smoking” and saw a group of women, including Mrs Farrar, standing outside the council office – some of whom were smoking.

After being reported, Stephenson was subject to “immediate and severe action” from council leader Chris Corbett. “I [am] removing him from his post as a lead member of the borough council and he will no longer serve on the council executive to take effect immediately,” stated Corbett. “As the father of a serving police officer myself, I am well aware of the hurt being suffered by the police force at present and know the worries experienced by their families. I apologise for the great upset this matter has clearly caused to all those involved.”

The sacking comes just days after comedian Steve Hughes apologised for making a joke about the murders at the Manchester Comedy Store in Deansgate. An inspector from Greater Manchester Police was in attendance on the night, and walked out in disgust.

University confirm potential graduation delays

An email update from The Faculty of Humanities confirms potential delays to graduation and their efforts to minimise the impact on students

Local elections 2023: Fallowfield still has lowest turnout in Manchester

Fallowfield still has the lowest voter turnout in Manchester whilst the Greens and Lib Dems made gains – here’s a full breakdown of Manchester’s Local elections 2023.

The University of Manchester’s Rent Strike marches on

The University of Manchester rent strike rumbles on as tensions between UoM Rent Strike and university bosses continue to simmer

Pole and Burlesque Soc rehearsal labelled ‘degrading’ by senior staff member

During a rescheduled rehearsal outside the AGLC, two members of the Pole and Burlesque Society were attacked for their outfits and activity by a member of staff.