jessica-cusack

ASOS: A cyber-highstreet alternative to diamonds

Jessica Cusack on a hard rock substitute

ASOS has risen to become the most popular online fashion retailer in the world, surpassing even the likes of Topshop with its extensive array of treats and low price points (price perhaps being a factor in its domination of Topshop). For evidence of this, look no further than the site’s selection of own-brand jewels, which rival any other high-street competitor.

ASOS’s designers clearly have a penchant for big, bold, sparkly jewels, thus making them a brand after my own heart. Accessories, as we have seen this issue, make the outfit, and with a pair of gobstopper earrings or a good-enough-to-eat necklace adorning your garms who needs to make as much of an effort? Especially in the winter where you’re more covered up (hopefully) and wearing darker colours which sometimes scream out for some sparkle. Diamonds may indeed be a girl’s best friend, but before you can afford that friendship, ASOS jewellery provides a much-needed fix.

picture: ASOS

Remember: in this case, more is more and there is no such thing as tacky. The brilliant thing about ASOS jewellery is that even though it usually won’t cost you above 20 quid, it doesn’t look or feel cheaply made (although the longevity of the pieces are not, unfortunately, guaranteed). These earrings are the ideal way to spruce up an evening look, or simply to take the attention away from an unwashed top-bun.

picture: ASOS

These chunky necklaces look amazing with a plain white shirt, or a simple cosy jumper, for a fun, accessible daytime accessory.

picture: ASOS

picture: ASOS

Stack as many sparkly, jewelled bracelets onto your arm as is possible to create the look coined by the one and only Man Repeller: ‘The Arm Party’. Once again this is an easy way to spice up a plain, dark outfit or to add an extra edge to something a little more colourful.

Jessica Cusack

Jessica Cusack

3rd Year English Literature student who enjoys taking a break from academic writing to explore the more aesthetic things in life… Looking forward to this year on-board The Mancunion as Beauty Editor.

Vivienne Westwood: The ‘Queen of British Fashion’ and her orb

We take a look at the life and works of the much-loved Dame Vivienne Westwood, from visiting Buckingham Palace commando to telling people not to buy clothes. Who was the Queen of fashion?

Make-up Soc’s guide to Winter glam

Check out the President of Makeup Society’s guide to winter glam makeup for the holiday season this year

In the Beauty Bag #11: Union Affairs Officer Sam Bronheim

Recent graduate and SU representative Sam Bronheim shares her beauty journey, tips she learnt from her mom and makeup bargains

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway