jack-crutcher
1st February 2013

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Jack Crutcher previews Aliens: Colonial Marines

Aliens: Colonial Marines offers fans a new experience in the Alien Universe while aiming to please hardcore followers with plenty of references to the movies. The storyline acts as a direct sequel to James Cameron’s 1986 movie Aliens but takes place after Alien 3. Playing as Corporal Christopher Winter accompanied by a team of Colonial Marines, you set off on a mission to investigate the strange goings on aboard the USS Sulaco in orbit around LV-426.

The FPS gameplay may make the enemy Xenomorphs a bit easier to kill than in the movies in order to increase the fast paced action-packed value of the game; but for most fans the opportunity to explore familiar locations such as Hadley’s Hope, the surface of LV-246 and plenty of other recognisable visual additions, will temper the relative ease with which some enemies can be defeated.

Gearbox offer a four player co-op experience (two for split screen) as well as a powerful looking arsenal, including pulse rifles, smart guns, auto turrets and robotic loader suits – all customisable both visually and in terms of functionality – offering gamers the opportunity to personalise their experience in a genre which has previously lacked such depth in its games.

Multiplayer team death match (Marines vs. Xenomorphs), a 4v4 objective mode called Escape where a squadron of marines must reach an evacuation point whilst under siege from the Xenomorphs evoking memories of Left 4 Dead and perhaps most importantly, following the success of Horde mode in Gears of War, a survival mode will be offered where four Colonial Marines take on waves of Xenomorphs!

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be released on PS3, 360 and PC on February 12.

Trailer:

Killer obsession: Ranking the Dead by Daylight killers by dateability

Spending Valentine’s Day alone? Why not let yourself be wooed by Behaviour Interactive’s most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes, splattered affectingly in the blood of their victims?

More narrators in video games, please

Baldur’s Gate 3’s narrator proves that narrators are still just as interesting to include as ever; let’s reflect back upon some of the more exceptional ones in recent history

Thirsty Suitors review: Jala Jayaratne’s precious little life

Outrageously funny, desperately horny, and somehow also emotionally mature, Outerloop Games’ debut title will leave your heart pining for more

These are the games that should be winning at The Game Awards 2023

Baldur’s Gate 3 and Alan Wake II lead the pack with eight nominations each, but what should be winning? Spoilers: Baldur’s Gate 3 sweep!