Flip, these pancakes are good

Five of our favourite pancake recipes, with more bacon strips

Here are a few of our favourite recipes for Shrove Tuesday, but if you don’t fancy making them yourself, head over to Black Dog Ballroom in the Northern Quarter for a pancake eating competition that starts at 6.30pm. Or just cash in with the free pancakes available there all day. To get in on the challenge, email [email protected].

Candied bacon

Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lay out one pack of thick, good quality streaky bacon on a non-stick baking tray  and sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of light brown sugar evenly over each one.

Cook in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden and caramelised on one side. Remove from the oven and flip, spreading the sugar back on them if it has dripped off. Return to the oven to cook again for 12 minutes.

Serve on American pancakes with maple syrup. 

Wilted spinach, feta and sundried tomato

Put a tablespoon of butter in a pan over a medium heat, once melted add a few handfuls and wilt. Then stir through cubed feta, chopped sundried tomatoes, some hand-torn fresh basil, salt and pepper.

Maddy Hubbard

Mushroom Triangles

Mix 6-8 mushrooms and 125g of grated mature cheddar cheese with 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Get four cooled pancakes and cut each pancake into quarters, putting a bit of the filling in the centre. Fold to make a triangle. Heat a non-stick frying-pan and cook on both sides for a melted, mushroom-y delight.

Eve Commander

Honeycomb butter

Stir 100g unsalted butter, 50g of crushed Crunchies and 1 tablespoon of honey  together before moulding this into a sausage shape wrapped tightly in clingfilm. Leave to chill in fridge for a few hours then cut a few rounds and place on top of pancakes along with sliced banana or strawberries.

Catherine May

Summer berry compote

A simple but extremely effective recipe is to use a bag of frozen summer fruits.

Ingredients: bag of frozen summer fruits [usually includes raspberries, blackberries, red berries, strawberries], icing sugar or caster sugar.

Put about half a bag of frozen summer fruits into a microwave proof bowl. Set the microwave to defrost but leave the fruits in slightly longer than needed, until they are beginning to really soften and there are a lot of juices. Add around a tablespoon of icing sugar (or caster sugar will work too), depending how tart you like your fruit to be, add more or less sugar if necessary. By this point, the fruit should be very soft and in a syrupy like fruit liquid from the sugar. Pour this onto your pancakes, dust with another light sprinkling of icing sugar and enjoy!

Anna Lawson-Walker

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes

The concept of small plate dining

Tapas, dim sum, chaat, meze, banchan and more!