lisamurgatroyd

New: To Kill a King – Cannibals with Cutlery

Lisa Murgatroyd tucks in To Kill a King’s new album

Marketed as “orch-folk”, To Kill A King are a five-piece based in London that have steadily progressed to the brink of their debut album launch since forming in 2009. The group consists of Leeds uni mates Ralph Pelleymounter, Ian Dudfield and Josh Platman, joined by Jonathan Willoughby and Ben Jackson. Heartwrenching and humble, definitely a grower; it’s a pleasure from start to finish – tall order for a debut.

The last couple years have seen the release of two EPs, numerous tours, including a campaign of ‘guerilla’ and ‘living room’ gigs and spots at Bestival and Wilderness. ‘Cannibals with Cutlery’ draws on their previous releases but under the wing of producer Jim Abbiss (Adele, Arctic Monkeys, Bombay Bicycle Club) becomes a much meatier offering. The songs which may be familiar to fans have been reworked and fleshed out; layered with strings and brass, delving into new depths of harmonies led by the distinct vocals of frontman Pelleymounter. Conveying the emotion of his own lyrics, the track progression holds listener interest throughout, and even includes a curveball of the 42 second title track in the middle.

The future single ‘Cold Skin’ creates an anthemic feel, and the video which has already had over 100k hits on YouTube certainly offers a few talking points, filled with face painted kids running amok and wrestling men. Other potential single tracks include ‘Rays’ and ‘Funeral’, with distinctive riffs and choruses to sing your heart out to. The stand out track would have to be the beautiful ‘Choices’, which may start off simply but gradually builds to a dynamic finale. Similarly, the more folky ‘Children Who Start Fires’ shows a great range to what this band can offer.

The album launch will be followed by a stint supporting pals Bastille, offering the opportunity for an on stage collaboration which has till now been limited to the recorded videos from Ralph’s Balcony Sessions. This includes two back to back sold out shows at Shepherds Bush Empire, before shortly afterwards setting off on their own headline tour around the country in April.

9/10