alex-fenton

5 songs in the field of: Tarantino

The legendary director’s eclectic musical tastes have underscored his canon – here’s five of the best

Little Green Bag – George Baker Selection

The concept of being genuinely cool is hard to come by, but the opening credits of Reservoir Dogs, coupled with ‘Little Green Bag’ must surely come close. A smooth bass line forms the foundation of a slick choice of song from Tarantino. Six men in suits never looked so suave.

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) – Nancy Sinatra

Overdub the introduction of Kill Bill with Nancy Sinatra and you know Tarantino means business. Fine vocals, timely guitar and a subtle melancholy are well suited to the tale of vengeance. ‘Revenge is a dish best served cold’, reads the opening of Kill Bill – How fitting.

Rabbia e Tarentella – Ennio Morricone

A reference to Tarantino’s musical taste could not be complete without paying homage to Ennio Morricone. Tarantino frequently exploits Morricone’s talent as a composer and Inglorious Basterds is no different. Well experienced from his spaghetti westerns, Morricone creates a befitting track for the Basterds.

Stuck in the Middle with You – Stealers Wheel

Imagine being tortured. Then imagine your ear being cut off with a razor. Then imagine your torturer sadistically dancing to the radio. An ugly torture scene should by no means detract from the quality of ‘Stuck in the Middle with You’, but now whenever I hear it I can’t help but think of the blood-spattered warehouse scene.

Chuck Berry – You Never Can Tell

Chuck Berry undoubtedly put much of the swing into rock n roll and Pulp Fiction’s timeless scene between Thurman and Travolta revitalised the track. With a rolling piano fuelling the classic, Travolta reminded the world he could still dance. ‘C’est La Vie’.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark