ally-mitchell

I’m sorry but…’animal’ films suck

Ally Mitchell explains her hate for critter capers

Don’t get me wrong, animals are great. However, if I’m paying to see a film I would choose to see something starring humans as opposed to life on the farm or stories about pets tragically left behind. Understandably most of these films are aimed at children; Babe, Lassie and Black Beauty are all entertaining but only if you have absolutely nothing else to do.

Even as a child, I never fully appreciated films involving dogs or cats, especially when the animals talked and their mouths moved; any child would thereafter expect to be able to have a conversation with their goldfish, only to suffer devastating disappointment. My favourite Disney films were not 101 Dalmatians, Bambi or even, shock horror, The Lion King. We never even owned these on video because I preferred fairy tales which seemed much more believable.

There are more recent animal films which have moved people to tears. Marley & Me was a box office hit thanks to the star cast and the lovable Labrador, Marley, whose life is chronicled in the film, ending very sadly with his [*SPOILERS*] death. I appreciated the sad ending especially as Marley was such an awesome pet, but I haven’t met anyone else who didn’t cry. I must have a heart made of stone.

On the other hand, Happy Feet, Finding Nemo and Stuart Little, I’ll concede, are animated classics which for some reason interest me. Was it the more gripping story lines, exotic locations or the added humour? I’ll never know, but regardless I won’t be queuing up for the next pet saga.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?