esme-clifford-astbury
21st September 2013

Top five literary nights out in Manchester

Looking to escape the madness of Freshers’ Week? Check out some of these bookish venues

1. The Castle Hotel 66 Oldham Street

A Northern Quarter institution, The Castle Hotel hosts regular spoken word nights, including Tongue in Cheek this Thursday, and serves up a delicious – and potentially dangerous – pint of scrumpy

2. Gorilla 54/56 Whitworth Street West

Gin was F. Scott Fitzgerald’s drink of choice, so don your flapper dress and drink like it’s 1920 at Gorilla’s Gin Parlour

3. The Art of Tea 47 Barlow Moor Road

For a more subdued affair, get off the beaten track and head to The Art of Tea in Didsbury to spend an evening perusing their selection of second-hand books and sipping tea – or something stronger

4. Peveril of the Peak 127 Great Bridgewater Street

Named after Sir Walter Scott’s novel, this cosy traditional pub boasts a good selection of real ales and can be recognised by its distinctive tiled exterior

5. Hardy’s Well 257 Wilmslow Road

If you don’t want to stray too far from Fallowfield, pay a visit to Hardy’s Well, an honest, no-frills pub, with a verse by local poet Lemn Sissay painted on its outside wall

The beauty behind Call Me By Your Name

The beauty behind Call Me By Your Name

It’s been almost 15 years since the release of CMBYN. Since then, the book has made it’s mark in Western culture. This month it debuts a new cover, reminding us of the beauty and intricacy behind the novel’s words.
X: A Manchester Anthology review

X: A Manchester Anthology review

The Mancunion attended the book launch of X: A Manchester Anthology, to get low-down on everything from the free food and drink to the works included in the anthology itself
The Creeper review: A chilling second novel by A.M. Shine

Shocking and gruesome, this gothic horror nightmare has just the right amount of scares but suffers from some poor character development towards the end

Revisiting Jacqueline Wilson: Traumatic or trailblazing?

In recent years, Jacqueline Wilson and her books have become a topic of dispute and controversy. From death, grooming and foster care – did Wilson go too far?