patrick-hinton
21st September 2013

Ultimate guide to Freshers’ Week 2013.

For thinking outside the freshers pack.

MONDAY

D TACHED vs Ghosts of Garage – Freshers 2013

South & Avicii White – £3.50/£5

There’s two times the fun at this double venue night. D TACHED take over South, showcasing future garage favourites The Golden Boy and Eton Messy’s Panda. Meanwhile, Ghosts of Garage will air the classics at Avicii White. One ticket gains you access to both.

Murkage x Juicy x Overproof

HMV Ritz – £5

Three of Manchester’s most popular student nights have teamed up to present this huge party at the HMV Ritz. The event billing promises “explosions of confetti, champagne showers and no holds barred whinin’, twerkin’ and bootyshakin’ to a soundtrack of the biggest hip-hop, bass and bashment records of all time”.

Remake Remodel

Soup Kitchen – £3

For those that like to rock, this is the place to be. Expect to hear classic and contemporary rock n roll and alternative bands, from Led Zeppelin and Nirvana to Radiohead and Tame Impala. Free tote bags and posters will also be given out, which will come in handy hiding your breeze blocked accommodation walls.

TUESDAY

Gold Teeth

Deaf Institute – £4

Warm up in the Main Bar with motown and soul, then hit the Music Hall where Gold Teeth DJs will be causing chaos with Hip Hop/Garage/House/Disco/RnB party anthems.  First 100 through the door get treated, Snoop Doggy Dogg style, to a free gin & juice.

NXNW presents A Free Freshers’ Party

Soup Kitchen – FREE on guestlist before 12:30/£2 after

NXNW kick off this year with a free party held in an underground basement featuring their residents and friends, sure to be a fun and sweaty affair. Check the Facebook event for details on how to get on the guestlist.

Student House

South – £2/£3

Quality music and inexpensive drinks are the top two selling points of Student House, what more could you want? Perfect if you enjoy the cheapness of student nights, but not the commercial chart pop. Dancefloor focused house and techno is the flavour of this night.

WEDNESDAY

Chow Down

Mint Lounge – £5

Plastician headlines Chow Down’s freshers’ event at Mint Lounge. Plastician has been very influential to the UK bass scene, and as the man behind hugely popular Rinse FM and Radio 1 slots his DJing class is evident. This appears unmissable.

Fully Loaded

Red Rum – FREE

A night of Drum & Bass and Jungle music in a dingy basement venue in Fallowfield. This is ideal for Fallowfield based students wanting to maximise their alcohol buying capabilities, entry is free and you’ll also be provided with a free shot upon arrival. No need to catch the bus either as Red Rum is a short walk from Owens Park.

Russ Yallop

Gorilla – £4/£6

Russ Yallop comes to Manchester off the back of a Summer residency playing alongside some of the biggest DJs in the world at Ibiza super club DC-10. The Hot Creations and Crosstown Rebels favourite will spin a set of underground house tunes.

THURSDAY

Frontin

Joshua Brooks – £3 before 12/£5 after

Fun vibes will be abound at Frontin’s freshers’ party. They encourage all attendees to let loose and have a ruddy good time by playing a great selection of Dancehall/Garage/RnB/Disco.

Bump & Grind

Sound Control – £4 adv/£5 before 12/£6 after

Freshers’ week sees the launch of Bump & Grind at Sound Control. House/Grime/Hip Hop/RnB will be played across two floors and a double and mixer is only £2.50. I can’t see nothing wrong with that.

Reggae Thursdays

The Deaf Institute – FREE

Providing good times is what Reggae music is all about, so don’t miss Reggae Thursdays if you’re seeking skanking induced fun. It’s in the main bar from 9pm -1.30am and is completely free of charge.

FRIDAY

So Flute

Roadhouse – £8/£10

So Flute present DJ Dez Andrés, the producer of Resident Advisor’s Track of the Year 2012, at The Roadhouse. The man closely associated with Dilla and Moodymann will bring the sound of Detroit amidst flawless mixing to Manchester, this is sure to be a very special night.

iDiOSYNC

Antwerp Mansion – £10

iDiOSYNC presents a stellar lineup including the likes of Wbeeza, Josh Butler and Bareskin at the increasingly popular Antwerp Mansion on Curry Mile. With live and DJ sets being performed there’ll be plenty of musical variety to please all revellers in attendance.

Bohemian Grove 3rd Birthday

Islington Mill – £10

One of Manchester’s most forward thinking and respected promoters celebrate their 3rd birthday at the Islington Mill in Salford on Friday. Headlining the night is Traxx, who’s earliest musical memory is spinning records on his toes as a baby. As an adult he has perfected the art of DJing and will unleash a masterful, vinyl only set.

SATURDAY

Pangaea Festival

University of Manchester’s Students Union – £22/£25

The largest student run festival in Europe returns to Manchester with a massive lineup, featuring the legendary DJ EZ amongst others. Multiple rooms showcasing different music, interactive art installations and the prospect of 6,000 students in fancy dress are just some of what Pangaea has to offer.

DJ Sneak

South – £12

The self-proclaimed ‘house gangster’ hits South on Saturday, bringing 20 years of experience as a mainstay on the house circuit with him. The man who influenced heavyweights such as Daft Punk, Armand Van Helden and Basement Jaxx is providing value for money by playing a 3 hour set.

Drop The Mustard

Gorilla – £8/£10/£12

WHP affiliates Drop The Mustard present a night of American house and disco with a live set from No Regular Play. Residents of New York at Gorilla surely promises a night of King Kong proportions. Selecting on the night are Pillowtalk and DTM residents.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford