george-bailey

Preview: Johnny Marr

Marr returns to Manchester hot on the heels of the success of his top ten album ‘The Messenger’

For an artist with such experience and legendary status amongst guitarists, it comes as somewhat of a surprise that Johnny Marr has only just released his first ‘proper’ solo album. He’s practically performed in as many bands as he’s influenced (hint: a lot), but only now has Ardwick’s finest taken centre stage.

If Marr’s position as a frontman was ever in doubt before this tour, then consider those doubts quashed in emphatic fashion. He’s a magician with a guitar, a godlike genius, and quite possibly the coolest Mancunian of all time.

Johnny Marr will be performing at the Manchester Academy 1 on Saturday 12th October, http://www.manchesteracademy.net/Artiste%20Pages/johnnymarr.html see  for details.

Live review: Sudan Archives raises the bar at Band on the Wall

The American artist visited Manchester last Thursday, and her performance exemplified everything exciting about music right now
On ‘And In the Darkness, Hearts Aglow’ Weyes Blood shines

The ethereal singer-songwriter delivers strong track after strong track on her latest album
Sigur Ros move and exhilarate at O2 Apollo Manchester

The Icelandic post-rockers return to O2 Apollo Manchester to celebrate their illustrious 25-year career
The Lightning Seeds are still gleaming at the Albert Hall

Live at the Albert Hall, The Lightning Seeds are a blast of energy, joy, and riotously good tunes (including ‘Three Lions’ of course!)