jonathan-breen

Two arrested and released for sexual assaults near University campus

Three separate attacks near the University of Manchester are being linked, suspects released on bail

A 14-year-old boy and 18-year-old man arrested in connection with three sexual assaults in and around the University of Manchester have been released.

They have to return to a police station for further questioning later today, Greater Manchester Police said.

Police initially released an e-fit of a boy they suspected may have carried out the attacks, who they said could have been as young as 12.

“We believe from the descriptions given to us by the women he assaulted that he was between 12 and 15-years-old, and it is obviously very unusual and very worrying, that someone someone so young is committing such appalling attacks on women,” said Detective Chief Inspector Colin Larkin.

In the first assault a 27-year-old woman was approached and grabbed from behind while walking through the University’s grounds near to Lloyd Street North at 6.15pm on September 21.

She screamed and offender, described as being in his mid-teens and mixed race threatened her. He grabbed her again before running away.

Minutes later, a 21-year-old was nearby on Oxford Road when a boy approached her and made lewd comments.

The woman carried on walking onto Moss Lane East and was sexually assaulted.

She described the offender as a young Asian boy, aged about 12-years-old, and wearing greens jeans and glasses.

The third incident took place on Lloyd Street North near the Manchester Science Park, on October 5 at around 2.15pm.

A 32-year-old was using her mobile phone when two young boys approached her. She was sexually assaulted by one of the boys, described as being Asian, 12-13-years-old, of a slim build, wearing baggy trousers and carrying a rucksack on his back.

She pushed the boy away but he sexually assaulted her for a second time before running off towards Pencroft Way with the second boy, also described as a young Asian boy.

Det Ch Insp Larkin said, “I would like to thank members of the public and the media for their support and they information they have provided and as a result, we are now in a position where two people are in custody and are being questioned.”

He added, “I want to reassure the community that, whilst we have made arrests, we will continue to investigate these appalling incidents so we can establish all the facts and who is responsible.

He also appealed to anyone with information about the the three attacks or any other incidents of a similar nature to come forward.