These blurred lines

Charlie Daniels on fashion hybrid we can’t get enough of: androgyny

Androgyny is a trend that has always interested me: challenging and resetting traditional gender stereotypes. In basic terms, ‘Androgyny’ means a male with female features or a woman with male features. In fashion, however, it can simply mean blurring the lines between genders. The androgynous trend, most commonly for women, hones in on the boyish silhouette with overlarge coats and straight leg trousers.

Androgyny is rife on the catwalk for both men and women’s fashion with labels such as Burberry, YSL, Topman Design and a huge majority of other fashion designers in both High Fashion and High-Street showing off the trend. Often androgyny is labelled and marketed as ‘metrosexual’ for males. In 2011 H&M launched a unisex clothing line for the Fashion Against AIDS campaign “This edition is a unisex collection to point out that the HIV/AIDS message is as important for young women as for young men.” – Ann-Sofie Johansson, Head of Design at H&M. Another fashion brand well known for the androgyny trend is The Kooples, encouraging mix-matching clothes and showing how their individual styles complement each other.

Androgyny today is largely conventional after well-known artists like David Bowie, Boy George, Prince, and Annie Lennox challenged what was ‘normal’ in the 1970s leading to elaborate cross- gender wardrobes in the 1980s. During the 1990s, Marilyn Manson also reinforced the culture by appearing genderless on the album cover ‘Mechanical Animals’.

Zara ‘Pictures’ show an adaption of the androgynous trend by Roy on the Street.  A one-size-up jacket to ooze mannish tailoring over a basic top are the key items to pull of this trend.  Notably, for this style it is vital that you get a straight-cut set of trousers! Pair with tights and brogues, and you will have this look down.

Jacket: 79.99 GBP. Crop T-Shirt: 15.99 GBP Both Zara.

Image: JayeKayeTV

Andrej Pejic has walked the catwalk for both Gaultier and Marc Jacobs.However, unusually, he models as a woman, taking androgyny quite literally.

Image: sol-sol-stree.tmblr.com

2013 Seoul Fashion Week. The purity of a white coat should never be underestimated- especially on a guy. The unusual sight of a man in tights (not in the ballet) is actually one of the best outfit ensembles I have seen- he looks effortlessly stylish!

Hair, makeup and costume design nominees at the 2024 Academy Awards

Who has been celebrated for exceptional hair, makeup and costume design at the Academy Awards 2024… and who was snubbed?

Devils wear Prada: A retrospective look at the iconic F/W 2012 menswear collection

With the 2024 fashion calendar now in full swing and the hype of the BAFTA’s still present, we reflect on one of the most cinematic catwalks in fashion history

Men’s fashion is finally having its moment during the 2024 awards season

Are we finally seeing some creativity in men’s award show fashion? The experimental cuts and colour on show at the latest BAFTAs and Golden Globes red carpets suggest so

2016 makeup is back, and so is creativity

With 2016 makeup trending on social media, we’re looking back to a simpler time and re-injecting creativity into today’s ‘clean girl’ era