Top 5: Male Shoes

Inka Kemppainen-Vann runs through her top picks to keep you looking dapper down to your toes

Image: highsnobiety.com

1. Clarks Desert Boots – £79

The most gentlemanly shoe on the list, Clarks Desert boots are the longstanding gem in the male footwear halls of fame – comfortable, versatile and very suave. Suede doesn’t seem ideal given Manchester’s weather conditions, but the leather versions make a smart alternative.

Image: ordershoe.co.uk

2. Nike Air Max Thea –  £85

I know what you’re thinking: Air Max have been rinsed by just about everyone on campus. It seems like every other set of feet you see is clad in a pair, though most of the wearers probably hadn’t heard of them ‘til uni. The Thea’s, though, are the lesser-seen, but much sleeker version.

Image: Schuch.co.uk
3. Puma Suede Classic – £55

Puma is the underdog in the branded sports shoe stakes, but the suede classics have made plenty of appearances on well-dressed students all over Manchester. With a wide range of colours on offer, you’re spoilt for choice.

Image: newmarketsports.com
4. Reebok Classic – £45

Reebok Classics are pretty basic, but they do the job. I’d avoid the white pair unless you’re emulating the yob look, but investing in the black would be a sound choice. Just £45 from Sports Direct: you can’t go wrong, can you?

Image: scorpioshoes.com
5  Dr Martens 1461 – £90

Possibly not everyone’s cup of tea, these DMs are made for the more tailored gent. Built to last, you couldn’t ask for a sturdier shoe. Think less of the ‘This is England’ look, and more of a ‘nonchalant academic’ vibe.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?